'74 RD350. Yeah... I know....

Here is a pdf of the Dave Fiest mod for carbs, I believe it changes them to be them like the R5 carbs.
It is not hard to do I got the jets from Mikuni in Aus, so they are available.

Attachments

• Dave_F_Warb mod-Pictures (1).pdf
    256.5 KB · Views: 78
Go ahead with your jokes... projects and holes in the head an' all that... I can take it. :cautious:
Anyway... it was advertised as a '74 RD 350, complete with extra motor, sitting in baskets on two pallets. Your classic "basket case," for 500 bucks.... right up my alley. :er:
Offered 400 sight unseen and headed north to the Iowa border.

I've always loved the two strokes. The sound, the smell... the "holy shit" when it comes up on the pipes... love 'em. Don't get me wrong, I loves me a 4 stroke too... in equal measure I guess. Funny, most folk have a decided preference. I'll take either.

I grew up on the little Yamaha twins. R3's (YR3), R5's and RD's. Even raced an RD for a season back in the late 70's. If you tried to pin me down, I'd guess about 15 of 'em in total. I could rebuild and tune one in my sleep. I say all this as a way to describe why a grown man with too many projects already, drives to Iowa and plops down 400 bucks for two pallets of parts... it's in my blood. Never wanted a ready to ride one. Never mind the cost of that today, but I wanted one that looks like the one I've had in my head for the last 20yrs. If I'd spent $3-6k on a rider, it'd be gettin' tore apart by now anyway, so why not start there... in baskets?

So, here it is....what I've figured so far, it's pretty close to complete. Front fender is missing, seat's missing and so is the title. The guy says he knows where they are and that I'll get 'em. He's about my age, runs his own heavy equipment shop and lives or dies by his work and his word. I trust him. It was his sisters, sons bike. He knows little of it's history, but he knows where they both live. :sneaky:

This'll go into the rotation with the Victor, the Aussie Mutt, the ersatz Speed Twin and the CS5E.. which I ain't named yet. I've got an entire walk out basement to turn into a workshop before the rain comes. Guess I better get to it.

By the way, those are new, unused DG pipes you're lookin' at. They retail for about 6-700 bucks. I figure I'm already on the good side of this one.

View attachment 226857

View attachment 226858

View attachment 226859

View attachment 226860

View attachment 226861

View attachment 226862

View attachment 226863

I love the little 2 strokes too! I grew up in a Yamaha shop until 1982 but it is still in my blood. The first picture is my latest Project finished last spring. A 1970 R5 street tracker. It does have a bunch of xs650 parts on it though. The whole front end is xs650! The other pic is one of my previous XS builds
IMG_0517.jpg
IMG_4157[22902].JPG

Very nice!! Both of 'em. This is my thread, so I absolutely allow a hijack now and again.... so yeah, tell us a bit about 'em? :geek:

Oh... and welcome to the madhouse. ;)
Thanks! and pardon the hiJack. may take me a while to figure out the proper posting and etiquette! I bought the R5 as a rotted out barn find and since it was so horrible I couldn't do a restoration. I had some tracker parts already so I thought Why Not? it got a new crank and top end and upgraded the clutch and did a hydraulic clutch conversion. New 28mm mikunis, electronic tach only, DG pipes. Swapped the front end for an XS650 complete front end out of the local bike junkyard. The swap was pretty easy actually. The stem on the triple trees was about 5/8 too long so I just cut it in half and trimmed it to length and welded it back together! Wheels are both xs650 19" fronts and the rear I used quick change adapters from RC Racing Components. those things are awesome! I just ordered another set for my latest xs650 build using a FZR1000 front wheel in the rear. That hub is wider so I had him make the adapters thinner to keep the sprocket spacing correct.
I had made the swingarm years ago out of a 700 Fazer swingarm but didn't end up using it then. I had to shorten and narrow the crap out of it but it worked great in the end on this one. Lets see, what else... I added the rear disc and all LED lighting and Vape ignition and charging. It uses a dewalt 12V lithium battery just so I can run the light while it is parked but it doesn't really need a battery. It starts and runs without it fine. Glass is from Randy Thistle at Gopher Glass. I did all of the paint and powder coat myself except for the frame because my oven wasn't big enough!

No worries, I invited the hijack.
Dang, I never even considered an XS front end swap. I might just look into that.
I just ordered another set for my latest xs650 build using a FZR1000 front wheel in the rear. That hub is wider so I had him make the adapters thinner to keep the sprocket spacing correct.
How far along is that one? You might consider starting a build thread on it. Gives you a chance to introduce yourself to the lads and throw up some pics as you proceed. We love pics here. :p

No worries, I invited the hijack.
Dang, I never even considered an XS front end swap. I might just look into that.

How far along is that one? You might consider starting a build thread on it. Gives you a chance to introduce yourself to the lads and throw up some pics as you proceed. We love pics here. :p
It is still in the 4 boxes it came in at the moment! Another fella hauled it all the way from Florida and only got as far as tearing it apart. It had been in pretty good shape looks like and he had a bunch of good stuff to go with it like fork seals and gaskets and stainless case bolt set. I'm about at a standstill though as I am going to have to sell the R5 before I can fund the rest of what I need on it. Going for something like this one from Airtech Streamlining though I think. I will start a build thread though as soon as I get it going.

XS650RR.jpg

So...was down cleaning up the basement/paint room and this thing fell on the floor. I've a rolling cart of shelves I store stuff on. In this case the RD stuff. Went to move it and the alt cover fell at my feet. Being a religious sort ;), I took it as a sign from the ArDee Gods of Bardahl. "Do sumpin', or risk our wrath!" Well shoot.... much as I loves me some cleanin'... cant run afoul of the gods, can we. So... :geek:

First off, the PO sandblasted the damn thing. Major roughness. Didn't get a pic :rolleyes:, but I went ahead and threw it in the glass cabinet to see if that would take some of the edge off the finish. Surprisingly, it actually did... to a point. Let's just say it's an improvement. It'll never get to a show finish. But then, I ain't buildin' a show bike. Here's where we're at after the glass...

1704579146397.png

The sand pitting was still pretty deep, so I started with 220 wetordry... using it dry. That took out "most" of the pitting.

1704579296764.png

400, then 600, 800 and some white rouge on a stitched cotton wheel. Good enough. The gods are satisfied... for now.

1704580502528.png

Here's a shot of the sand pitting. As I said though... good enough.

1704580585163.png

Last edited:
So...was down cleaning up the basement/paint room and this thing fell on the floor. I've a rolling cart of shelves I store stuff on. In this case the RD stuff. Went to move it and the alt cover fell at my feet. Being a religious sort ;), I took it as a sign from the ArDee Gods of Bardahl. "Do sumpin', or risk our wrath!" Well shoot.... much as I loves me some cleanin'... cant run afoul of the gods, can we. So... :geek:

First off, the PO sandblasted the damn thing. Major roughness. Didn't get a pic :rolleyes:, but I went ahead and threw it in the glass cabinet to see if that would take some of the edge off the finish. Surprisingly, it actually did... to a point. Let's just say it's an improvement. It'll never get to a show finish. But then, I ain't buildin' a show bike. Here's where we're at after the glass...

View attachment 259011

The sand pitting was still pretty deep, so I started with 220 wetordry... using it dry. That took out "most" of the pitting.

View attachment 259012

400, then 600, 800 and some white rouge on a stitched cotton wheel. Good enough. The gods are satisfied... for now.

View attachment 259015

View attachment 259017
Yep good enough for me too Jim. Looks shiny enough for a regular ride to me. Nice.👍

View attachment 259011

View attachment 259012

View attachment 259015

View attachment 259017
Looks great! Nobody would ever look at it close enough to see the micro pitting. 2nd last pic says it all - way better than “good enough”!

Back