75 b models

wheelsrus

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just curious, what is it about the 75 models that make them so popular, to buy, keep, restore,and (ugh chop or bob). not trying to start an issue here but there are so many bikes in my area that have been chopped or bobbed that they don't have a good example of either one, and they have ruined a stock bike.

Here, does this make you feel better? Lol
B9A21044-B161-4D24-B1A0-B595C094F86B.jpeg
9A4EFA7C-91D4-442D-A9D2-78DE2B0D4C37.jpeg

what is it about the 75 models that make them so popular,

The ‘75 model had one of the most elaborate and striking paint jobs. Also there were some major design upgrades in 1974, so it has that in its favor too. The stock bike also had some unique factory mufflers.

I'm happy to be able to say that nearly all of the "roadster" (standard) bikes that wash up here fetch quite healthy prices and get restored back to standard spec.
The B models seem to fetch the best prices of all the late type bikes.
The 650 Specials aren't so lucky.
Late '80 to '83 bikes fetch the lowest prices despite the electrical upgrades.
It seems to be the fashonable thing to buy a bike that has survived intact for 40 years, then saw the frame in half the next day.

Great running, sounding and good looking bikes. Of all the bikes I own, none get more positive comments than my '75. By far!

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
to willis: i am near Delaware oh. to the others i guess i knew all that about the 75's but thought there was something else i was missing. I am very thankful to all the members who have put so much info on this site. My 75 has been sitting for a few years but now back on the table getting some attention, i get the addiction factor(650's and bikes in general) thanks in advance for the help.

I owned a 1975 XS650B back in the mid-70s when I was a student and I rode the wheels off that thing. As you said @wheelsrus, it got a lot of looks.

Except for the slightly goofy "woodgrain" dash on the 1974-75 bikes, the '75 B-model truly was one of the most tasteful and strikingly pretty machines of the 1970's IMO, from any manufacturer.

These days I have a 1976 XS650C - which is very nice, but the colour scheme (red/wine tank with orange and brown stripes....YUK), while certainly hard to miss, is simply not that pretty. The later 1978 E-models in black with gold striping are tasteful, (although I do like the optional green shade on my 1978 - thanks @Jim !!), but none of them are quite as smart as the 1975 factory black with gold and white colour scheme.

....just my $0.02 (which is about $1.46 Canadian at the present rate of exchange).

Pete

Last edited:
Except for the slightly goofy "woodgrain" dash on the 1974-75 bikes, the '75 B-model truly was one of the most tasteful and strikingly pretty machines of the 1970's IMO from any manufacturer.

Pete
I agree. Can’t stand the factory dash on the 75’s. It’s just too big & bulky. That’s why I converted mine over to the early 72/73 style gauges. I like the simple, less is more mentality.

Attachments

• IMG_20150919_094843 (1).jpg
    IMG_20150919_094843 (1).jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
As of today it’s a bit mucky, I have used it recently and it’s covered in dust and dead flies.
The downside of being the custodian of a shiny bike, washing half an hour, polishing another hour and half.
An afternoon spin, back to square one.

Back