'75 XS no Spark so I want to change the ignition system. Need advice

Inspect the speedo drive ring in your front hub. Make sure it's locked in place so it rotates with the hub and that the tabs aren't bent. Those tabs fit into slots in the speedo drive gear so as the wheel turns, it spins the speedo drive gear. If you don't align those slots with the tabs on the wheel ring, if you force the speedo drive in, you can bend them down and the wheel may not engage with and spin the speedo drive correctly.

Yes, you only have one choke on just one of the carbs but it should be tied to the other with a short crossover hose so it can share it's rich mix with it. You may not have cleaned out the choke feed jet in the bottom of the left carb's float bowl. If it's plugged, the choke won't get any fuel and won't work. Here's it's location and how to check it .....

HYNwXFs.jpg

IzS1tsu.jpg

The choke jet is pressed into the bowl so can't be removed for cleaning. You'll need to flush or blow it clear with compressed air.

Awesome stuff. I did a pretty thorough job cleaning the carbs. However, I will remove and inspect as per your suggestion. Will double check the front wheel tabs as well. Thank you for the great suggestions.

Back