'76 Standard to Street Tracker project revived

I don't see it as much different than what the factory does. Indian's FTR looks like a flat track bike. I rode it and from the seat, it's a regular street bike. It looks very cool and has little utility. I've had an Eleven Special for almost twenty years and a 650 Special for twice that. They don't make much sense either, but I've put 100,000 miles on the Eleven including many long distance rides in spite of it being a very poor choice for touring. IMHO, Royal Enfield might sell some street trackers if they built them. The Indian is expensive.

in spite of it being a very poor choice for touring.
I'll have to disagree Marty. The Eleven I had was smooth, fast and would run all day at any speed you wanted to run it at. Yeah, the seat wasn't the best but pads helped with that. Bags and a windshield... it would still be a capable cross country bike.

I'll have to disagree Marty. The Eleven I had was smooth, fast and would run all day at any speed you wanted to run it at. Yeah, the seat wasn't the best but pads helped with that. Bags and a windshield... it would still be a capable cross country bike.
I've proven it capable, but the fuel tank is short range and some modification is required to fit luggage. I did a few trips with my daughter. One was over 3,000 miles when she was 13 years old. It's smooth and fast for sure. Today's 80 mph sustained interstate speeds might destroy it.
I've seen them converted with fairings and hard bags, but that destroys the look I wanted in the first place. I love the way it looks naked. Modified for touring, not so much.

I bet I could find a way to tour on a tracker, or somebody could. :wink2:

The guest speaker at the Musky Club meeting was a taxidermist. He said the "fish mounts were the artist interpretation. Take plenty of pictures before the fish dies if you want it to look like the one you caught. The hide changes colors." A friend of mine said of building dune buggies "It's all about the pictures because we are going to take them out and trash them"
I was lucky enough to see Kenny Roberts race at the Charity Newsies in Columbus Ohio at the Ohio State Fair Grounds from turn two. I wonder if I have pictures somewhere.
For me its about the pictures, and tinkering.

I like to have my weight over my feet. Then shifting weight on the on the bike gets transferred more to the pegs and less through the bars. Less wiggling that way. I am not racing and my county German settlers set roads on a nice straight, square and even grid. I have, however, been known to take a few laps on a few of the ever increasing round a bouts in the area and cloverleaf highway exchanges can be amusing if you like 4 or 8 right hand sweepers in a row:D

I have done weekend touring with a tankbag. All you need is a change of undies and socks, an extra layer and maybe extra jeans, toothbrush and a wallet. I have bugee'd on a sleeping bag behind the tank bag. One year at Laguna Seca I overnited in sleeping bag under a jacked up 4x4 during a light rain. However... my tracker has some pretty cool paint and I would get a spare tank, rattlecan a color on and mount it befor I would put a tankbag on my bike.

I've proven it capable, but the fuel tank is short range and some modification is required to fit luggage. I did a few trips with my daughter. One was over 3,000 miles when she was 13 years old. It's smooth and fast for sure. Today's 80 mph sustained interstate speeds might destroy it.
I've seen them converted with fairings and hard bags, but that destroys the look I wanted in the first place. I love the way it looks naked. Modified for touring, not so much.

Not on a tracker; but me and a mate toured Europe and the Alps on pure sport bikes.
Me on a Honda VTR SP1, him on a Ducati 888. All we took were credit cards and a toothbrush & jeans.
Bought new Tee's and underpants each evening to wear for dinner; wore them on the road next day (Jeans in tank bag).
Brilliant time all around. Couldn't do it today tho' my arse and back would complain too much! :devil:

I don't see it as much different than what the factory does. Indian's FTR looks like a flat track bike. I rode it and from the seat, it's a regular street bike. It looks very cool and has little utility. I've had an Eleven Special for almost twenty years and a 650 Special for twice that. They don't make much sense either, but I've put 100,000 miles on the Eleven including many long distance rides in spite of it being a very poor choice for touring. IMHO, Royal Enfield might sell some street trackers if they built them. The Indian is expensive.
My '05 Harley Road King is what I use for trips. The street tracker project is for local rides. I rode the stuffing ouy of my '75 XS650, including several over nighters back in my youth, don't think my body could do it now as I'm 6' 200+ lbs. Did 5k on the H-D to Sturgis in '08 and it wore me out. That being said, I'm so looking forward to this project as I've missed that 650 for almost 40 years.

May '09. Bike is still in the living room. Here some detail pictures taken before it went back out to the shop when I bought some furniture. Early next week I will be buffing and polishing parts that need to go back to Pandemonium.

Tank is a Heritage Special I found new in the box with a small scratch. Couldn't get to Warren, Ohio fast enough when i found it on line. Harness is covered in Insultherm - very abrasion resistant.
Front Brake and Cable frontal.JPG

Cranberry tank doesn't quite go with the red wheels. Didn't want to paint it, the finish was too nice.
Brake n Cable side view.JPG

Shocks from Omar Street Tracker - Catalogue that took me down this path
IMG_0456.jpg

Wrinkle powder on the chain quard
IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

Lilly must be about 16 now. Neighbors left her behind when they moved out.
IMG_0462.jpg

May '09. Bike is still in the living room. Here some detail pictures taken before it went back out to the shop when I bought some furniture. Early next week I will be buffing and polishing parts that need to go back to Pandemonium.

Tank is a Heritage Special I found new in the box with a small scratch. Couldn't get to Warren, Ohio fast enough when i found it on line. Harness is covered in Insultherm - very abrasion resistant.
View attachment 208611

Cranberry tank doesn't quite go with the red wheels. Didn't want to paint it, the finish was too nice.
View attachment 208610

View attachment 208612

View attachment 208613
View attachment 208614

Lilly must be about 16 now. Neighbors left her behind when they moved ou

View attachment 208611

View attachment 208610

View attachment 208612

View attachment 208613
View attachment 208614

Lilly must be about 16 now. Neighbors left her behind when they moved out.View attachment 208615

View attachment 208611

View attachment 208610

View attachment 208612

View attachment 208613
View attachment 208614

Lilly must be about 16 now. Neighbors left her behind when they moved out.View attachment 208615
Nice cat. My cat, Molly is 17 next month. I've had a lot of cats and she's one of the best. Usually if I'm on the computer, she has to be between me and the keyboard.

Back