Bumblebee

XS650 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1976_yamaha_xs650_img_9212-5-55118.jpg
    1976_yamaha_xs650_img_9212-5-55118.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 118
Yeah the headers are an unusual choice. Not a huge fan of the seat, especially the pillion. Most age appropriate ladies want a little more comfort at this stage.
Also feel like the large "650" on the side covers looks out of place. I think I'd have gone with maybe, a crossed tuning fork decal or something.

Nit picking aside, it's a really nice numbers matching bike that seems to run really well!

I am also not a fan of the seat. That type of hinged solo seat never looks right on horizontal seat rails. It is meant for angled seat rails, i.e. a hard-tailed frame.

Also feel like the large "650" on the side covers looks out of place. I think I'd have gone with maybe, a crossed tuning fork decal or something.
That's the risk of a custom bike. If I do it right, it's going to please me and maybe nobody else. The OEM tries to reach as large an audience as possible. And I feel the side covers should have been left blank given the chosen tank emblems. Also, I'm not a fan of 20 lbs of front brake. That said, I think the bidding is going very well on this one.

From experience?

They just scream “I have no creativity (ohh and I’m cheap!)” the same eBay parts you see on every “cafe brat custom stock one of a kind bobber restored” bike with the same brackets, mounted in the same way.

It’s a pretty judgmental thought I know but hey I don’t know how else to feel about em.

They just scream “I have no creativity (ohh and I’m cheap!)” the same eBay parts you see on every “cafe brat custom stock one of a kind bobber restored” bike with the same brackets, mounted in the same way.

It’s a pretty judgmental thought I know but hey I don’t know how else to feel about em.
I’ll probably use them.
1. I’m frugal
2. Cable driven tach says the oil pump is turning.
3. Maybe I’m cheap and not really frugal.
4. OEs are all junk by now.

I’ll probably use them.
1. I’m frugal
2. Cable driven tach says the oil pump is turning.
3. Maybe I’m cheap and not really frugal.
4. OEs are all junk by now.

I’m not sure what you mean by OE being junk.

I got strong opinions haha I don’t think a digital speedo does an old bike any justice either.

I’m not saying they ARE cheap, just they give that vibe to me cause they are on every cheap bike “restoration”. Usually in combo with every other “cafe racer” part on eBay. - I’m sure they can be used in a tasteful way, I’ve really just yet to see it.

They seem to take away more than they add, in my opinion.

I’m not sure what you mean by OE being junk.

I got strong opinions haha I don’t think a digital speedo does an old bike any justice either.

I’m not saying they ARE cheap, just they give that vibe to me cause they are on every cheap bike “restoration”. Usually in combo with every other “cafe racer” part on eBay. - I’m sure they can be used in a tasteful way, I’ve really just yet to see it.

They seem to take away more than they add, in my opinion.
I understand and I didn’t intend to come off as defensive.
The OE clocks are old. Fixing them property is more expensive than about any aftermarket clock. Junk was a poor word choice.

Back