'76 XS500C info?

mick71b

Be kind, it's good for the soul.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Found a nice, clean, low mile (4752) survivor near me. Not cheap, but very presentable. Any major issues with these bikes that I need to know before making a reasonable offer?

00b0b_baJv7NGfpejz_0ft0bC_600x450.jpg

There's a lot going on inside that motor -8-valves, couple of chains - finicky to work on. The early models had head and valve train issues that IIRC were sorted by '76. Don't know about parts. They were a good performer for 500cc
img039_Page_1.jpg

I've stripped and scrapped 3 so far, lol. That's all they're good for in my opinion. Two were free and the last one I paid $25 for.

XS500.jpg

Last edited:
If you find one really cheap, they are a good source of 650 parts. Those include turn signals, handlebar switches, ignition switch, and brake discs. From that $25 bike, I adapted the carbs for 650 use. They're very similar to a '76-'77 650 set so that's how I set them up. They worked fine once converted and "sorted" .....

Carbs.jpg

ReadyToMount.jpg

Also, from an earlier spoke wheel model, I adapted the rear wheel for 650 use. I did this because it has a cush drive sprocket. So far, it's working well .....

TX500RearFinished.jpg

Installed.jpg

Back