76 XS650 Wont stay on

Runnriot

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So after installing the Boyer electronic ignition, replacing spark plugs, the motorcycle ran amazing, better than it probably ever has.
Last week it was about 38 degrees and i tried to ride it, it started with the choke on, i left the choke on a few minutes so it can warm up otherwise it kept turning off. After about 2 minutes it turned off on its own and wouldn't want to turn back on.

I recharged the battery, check the spark plugs (they looked okay), itll turn on with choke on but i have to keep revving it for it to stay on, once i remove choke it will completely shut off. After 2-3 tries of this it no longer wants to start at all until i use the kick start, then it seems to release and allows me to electronically start it again.

Any idea what can be causing it not to turn on properly anymore and stay on? any guidance would be great, im at my wits end, spent the whole summary dealing with the advanced spring system, then switched to electronic ignition, now this is happening, whole summer passed by with just issues, im frustrated.

Thank you.

Assuming the Boyer was there functioning for a While more than 2 weeks
I would suspect Charging Problems ..and then low battery power. Which is simple to check
When running measure Voltage across battery. Should be over ca 13 V. Is the battery old.?
Boyer is sensitive for Low or High Voltage .Wont start if to low.
Does it misfire anything .. ?
And then check connections and wiring ensuring Power and Ground are Solid.
I have a separate Ground wire from ignition Box and Coil all the way to battery minus
With positive experiences ---- At least wort trying for fault finding if nothing else.

it started with the choke on, i left the choke on a few minutes so it can warm up otherwise it kept turning off.

itll turn on with choke on but i have to keep revving it for it to stay on, once i remove choke it will completely shut off.

That sounds ( to me ) like you’re starving for fuel, like you have a blockage in your idle circuit, or your idle is set too low. When is the last time you pulled your carbs apart and cleaned and blew out all the jets and passageways? Is there any rust in your gas tank, any inline fuel filters ?

That sounds ( to me ) like you’re starving for fuel, like you have a blockage in your idle circuit, or your idle is set too low. When is the last time you pulled your carbs apart and cleaned and blew out all the jets and passageways? Is there any rust in your gas tank, any inline fuel filters ?
Carbs were cleaned a few years ago. I will take them apart this winter and clean them. Hopefully thats all that is. Ill take a look at the gas tank to see if there is any debris/rust in it.

Assuming the Boyer was there functioning for a While more than 2 weeks
I would suspect Charging Problems ..and then low battery power. Which is simple to check
When running measure Voltage across battery. Should be over ca 13 V. Is the battery old.?
Boyer is sensitive for Low or High Voltage .Wont start if to low.
Does it misfire anything .. ?
And then check connections and wiring ensuring Power and Ground are Solid.
I have a separate Ground wire from ignition Box and Coil all the way to battery minus
With positive experiences ---- At least wort trying for fault finding if nothing else.

Charging was okay, it was really cold the first day so maybe the battery was a little drained, hopefully i didnt fry anything. I charged it yesterday and tried it again with a charged battery but it was the same result.
No misfiring when starting or running with choke on.
Ill check the ground and what not to make sure its still properly connected, all the vibrations coudl have gotten something loose but i did use blue locktite on the screws and nuts. It was running amazing right before this issue so makes me think as someone else indicated that possibly a carb blockage.

I'll second that the idle circuit is probably in question, especially if it's been sitting for some time. Clean carbs/jets, and see how it goes.

Back