'76 XS650C Build / tracker-scrambler / Need help/ Newbie with xs650

ParzivalXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm from PR and just bought a 1976 XS650C. About the bike: unknown millage, last ran in 2017, has a 1981 tank (rusty and needs to be cleaned), engine turns over and it seems to have spark, missing cluster, missing seat. Has been modified already

The current priority is to get it to start and run once that is achieved, I’ll move on to modifications.

Goals:

I want the bike to end up between a tracker and a scrambler. I don’t plan on painting everything to look like new, if it looks nice it should be fine. For example, I plan to remove the painting from the engine to bare aluminum again. The frame and wheels will stay the same.

Budget: affordable but good enough.

Electric: I want to simplify the cabling as much as possible and update the charging system to something reliable and modern. Change all the lights to led and the battery to lithium if possible.

I saw a chopper harness can be used to simplify most of the cabling by creating your own is this correct?​

If not, where can I start, or what do I need to do so?​
Can the banshee conversion be done and used with a lithium battery?​
Is there an all-in-one budget conversion available to purchase?​

Engine: Service it and change any unreliable parts.

What are the necessary mods that can be done to extend the life of the engine?​
Should I change the oil filter style to a normal one?​

Brakes: What most do mods are available or recommended to improve the stock brakes?

Suspension: Im a big guy and need to change the rear shocks. Service and upgraded the stock front forks.

Regarding the rear shocks, I was planning on going with 13”-14” size. Is this possible to do with the stock swingarm? What do I need to change to do this?​
What can be done to upgrade the stock front forks?​

Carbs: Full service, add pod filters

Exhaust: Want to do a 2-in-1 side exhaust, haven’t been able to find one for sale.

What’s the optimal pipe size if diy?

Any other must do mods that you can recommend to improve the bike?

Anything that can be identified on the bike that’s missing or does not belong from the limited pictures?

I hope to keep updating this thread with everything that’s been done to the bike. Thanks in advance.

20230325_193738 - Copy.jpg
20230325_193812 - Copy.jpg
20230325_193824 - Copy.jpg
20230325_193834 - Copy.jpg
20230325_193846 - Copy.jpg
20230325_193859 - Copy.jpg

The old charging system can be made reliable. An automotive Regulator and 3 phase rectifier and a some wiring skills. Cheap and reliable.............Post #2 is where your bike is at
https://www.xs650.com/threads/diy-reg-rec-5twins-and-jim.5s5842/

Rotor is usually the culprit for a failed charging system. Jim does a good rewind service that iss reliable and well priced
https://www.xs650.com/threads/rewound-alternator-rotor.54276/#post-584933.

Check the brushes and replace if they need it and the charging system is reliable.

Hi all,

I'm from PR and just bought a 1976 XS650C. About the bike: unknown millage, last ran in 2017, has a 1981 tank (rusty and needs to be cleaned), engine turns over and it seems to have spark, missing cluster, missing seat. Has been modified already

The current priority is to get it to start and run once that is achieved, I’ll move on to modifications.

Goals:

I want the bike to end up between a tracker and a scrambler. I don’t plan on painting everything to look like new, if it looks nice it should be fine. For example, I plan to remove the painting from the engine to bare aluminum again. The frame and wheels will stay the same.

Electric: I want to simplify the cabling as much as possible and update the charging system to something reliable and modern. Change all the lights to led and the battery to lithium if possible.

I saw a chopper harness can be used to simplify most of the cabling by creating your own is this correct?​

Brakes: What most do mods are available or recommended to improve the stock brakes?

Suspension: Im a big guy and need to change the rear shocks. Service and upgraded the stock front forks.

Regarding the rear shocks, I was planning on going with 13”-14” size. Is this possible to do with the stock swingarm? What do I need to change to do this?​

Exhaust: Want to do a 2-in-1 side exhaust, haven’t been able to find one for sale.

Anything that can be identified on the bike that’s missing or does not belong from the limited pictures?

I hope to keep updating this thread with everything that’s been done to the bike. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 239109View attachment 239110View attachment 239111View attachment 239112View attachment 239113View attachment 239114
Welcome aboard the good ship XS650.
Looks like you have a good bike to start your journey.
Keep us posted; check out the Tech section and ask questions as required.
Plenty of good free advice here.
Ads.

Hi ParzivalXS, there is a great deal of information which answers just about every question you have posed - best place to start looking is in the tech section https://www.xs650.com/pages/tech/

Everything can be done and has been done. For example, 'Should I change the oil filter style to a normal one?' well, if you mean a spin-on filter than can be done and I have fitted one on my XS.

So I would say, have a good look around, maybe draw up a list of things that need to be done, do the research. Engine looks oil tight in the pictures, tank is dented, forks could do with re-chroming and new seals? Would need to know more about what works or doesn't on the electrical side - crucial for getting the bike running. And the best way to get the electrics reliable depends on your own skills & understanding, or budget and help available locally. BTW, where is PR?

Good news is the bike will fully repay the work and money you invest. Repay in enjoyment and riding, but almost certainly not in money terms.

Welcome!
Upside to that rattle can paint job…PO may have done you a favor and mummified some nice chrome that could be resurrected :shrug: all the things you are wanting to achieve can and have been done. I would start using the search function and gather the info you need. Not sure your experience with bikes but my advice would be to go slow and do one thing at a time…ultimately it will be much faster. Also don’t worry so much about making the engine more reliable, these bikes have been outliving forum members for a while now, the ones that are maintained anyway. A good wash, cleaning up old gaskets and a sump repair are a good start.

Hi all,

Goals:

View attachment 239109View attachment 239110View attachment 239111View attachment 239112View attachment 239113View attachment 239114
Your deliberate approach is impressive.Your off to a great start.Enjoy

Welcome to the Forum. Your bike looks like it will make a good Scrambler-Tracker. Lots of info on this site and several build threads on the same.
Where is "PR" and you used the word "budget"?? what is that? I don`t think I`ve ever heard that word before.:laugh:

First of all sorry for the late reply, but unfortunately I have to work. Thank you for all the replies. I haven't had time to try and start it yet, that would be on Saturday hopefully. I had some free time and looked at a few things today. Turns out the bike has a boyer micro power ignition installed (great I imagine). Im not sure if it's the whole kit or not. I will need to check the install instructions and locate everything.

PXL_20230330_162703912 - Copy.jpg

Is the Tridon relay necessary?
PXL_20230330_162607821 - Copy.jpg

My left side case looks to be missing the left inner cover screw hole as you can see below, so I might need to replace it completely or try to repair it. I assume from what little can be seen that this is stock.

PXL_20230330_163822553 - Copy.jpg

Both sides of the tank are dented in the area where the petcock would be located. Is it normal to be dented that much?
PXL_20230330_162802941 - Copy.jpg

The old charging system can be made reliable. An automotive Regulator and 3 phase rectifier and a some wiring skills. Cheap and reliable.............Post #2 is where your bike is at
https://www.xs650.com/threads/diy-reg-rec-5twins-and-jim.5s5842/

Rotor is usually the culprit for a failed charging system. Jim does a good rewind service that iss reliable and well priced
https://www.xs650.com/threads/rewound-alternator-rotor.54276/#post-584933.

Check the brushes and replace if they need it and the charging system is reliable.
Thanks for the info and links, seems I have quite a bit to read up on. Welcome aboard the good ship XS650.

Hi ParzivalXS, there is a great deal of information which answers just about every question you have posed - best place to start looking is in the tech section https://www.xs650.com/pages/tech/

Everything can be done and has been done. For example, 'Should I change the oil filter style to a normal one?' well, if you mean a spin-on filter than can be done and I have fitted one on my XS.

So I would say, have a good look around, maybe draw up a list of things that need to be done, do the research. Engine looks oil tight in the pictures, tank is dented, forks could do with re-chroming and new seals? Would need to know more about what works or doesn't on the electrical side - crucial for getting the bike running. And the best way to get the electrics reliable depends on your own skills & understanding, or budget and help available locally. BTW, where is PR?

Good news is the bike will fully repay the work and money you invest. Repay in enjoyment and riding, but almost certainly not in money terms.
PR is Puerto Rico, I've been reading around the tech page there's a lot to learn.
Welcome!
Upside to that rattle can paint job…PO may have done you a favor and mummified some nice chrome that could be resurrected :shrug: all the things you are wanting to achieve can and have been done. I would start using the search function and gather the info you need. Not sure your experience with bikes but my advice would be to go slow and do one thing at a time…ultimately it will be much faster. Also don’t worry so much about making the engine more reliable, these bikes have been outliving forum members for a while now, the ones that are maintained anyway. A good wash, cleaning up old gaskets and a sump repair are a good start.
I just notice I might need to replace the left side case. Hopefully, the paint will come out easily.
Puerto Rico? I like it already!
Yeah, Would be great to have it ready for the summer.

Last edited:
I think '75 and later are all the same

Turns out the bike has a boyer micro power ignition installed (great I imagine). Im not sure if it's the whole kit or not. I will need to check the install instructions and locate everything.
There will (probably) be the full Boyer Bransden kit. If you remove the l/h cam cover, under it you will find the sender plate and there is a rotor with magnets on the cam shaft. If you remove the r/h cam cover, there will be the end of the cam shaft and very little else.

This would be a good time to mention that to avoid mussing up the screws, you ought to invest in a set of JIS, that's Japanese Industry Standard screwdrivers. Using Phillips screwdrivers is why most screws on these older bikes are chewed. On @MaxPete's suggestion, I bought this:

Vessel Impacta.JPG

and these:

Sealey JIS set.JPG

The Vessel Impacta is a very useful tool for removing stubborn screws - clouted with a hammer, it jerks the screw round by a small amount.

Good luck on Saturday!

I think '75 and later are all the same
I got one from eBay thats already cleaned up and ready to go.
There will (probably) be the full Boyer Bransden kit. If you remove the l/h cam cover, under it you will find the sender plate and there is a rotor with magnets on the cam shaft. If you remove the r/h cam cover, there will be the end of the cam shaft and very little else.

This would be a good time to mention that to avoid mussing up the screws, you ought to invest in a set of JIS, that's Japanese Industry Standard screwdrivers. Using Phillips screwdrivers is why most screws on these older bikes are chewed. On @MaxPete's suggestion, I bought this:
Thanks, It has the full Boyer kit. Thanks for the suggestion, I pick up a set of JIS screwdrivers from Amazon.

Puerto Rico.
I've never been there but have worked with a few that had family in San Sebastian and Ponce. A gringo friend of mine went for a visit, came back and sold his property and then moved to Rincon on 4 acres he bought from a fellow in NYC.....he likes to surf. My youngest Dottir and her husband took a trip there, belated honeymoon.

Yeah, get some paint stripper and go to it.
On the fuel tank, there's two rubber cups that slip into the oidos on the frame.....thinking you probably have them, and there's a rear rubber bumper that fills that hole where the mounting bolt goes through - and it cushions the rear of the tank to the frame. Seeing yours like that gives me a cringe lol.

The tanks do have a flat section where the petcock(s) mount, though it's hard to see what's going on with yours.
Welcome aboard.

Update

I've been working on the bike this week whenever I had some free time. I stripped all the wiring out of the bike, It was a mess of electrical tape. The whole harness is pretty much junk at this point. Got the engine out finally, needs a good clean and some paint stripper to remove that paint job.

Now that the engine is out, I want to make sure to do any maintenance stuff before moving on with the rest of the bike. After the engine and carbs are done, I'll tackle the forks and swingarm.

Regarding the engine keep in mind that it has an unknown mileage and it was last run about 5 years ago. So far it has good compression and no oil leaks. I don't plan to split the case but I do want to remove the top and bottom ends. Since that will be out what should I look for or refresh?

I'm unsure if I should keep the stock charging system or not. I priced out a banshee swap and at current prices, I might as well get the PMA kit from one of the many sellers. If I keep the stock charging system can I use a Shorai LFX14L5-BS12 LiFePO4 battery? I want to keep the starter but don't want to use a big ass battery.

Has anyone used a Black Box V3 – Lighting Control Module from purposebuiltmoto? Looks to be a lot cheaper than say a motogaget mo.unit

PXL_20230403_150443383 - Copy.jpg

Can someone tell me what this is?

Xs650.png

I think this was the rectifier, it's missing the fins on the other side. It was rolled up in so much electrical tape it was insane
PXL_20230403_151430486 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230403_160212353 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230403_160212353 - Copy.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 43
If I keep the stock charging system can I use a Shorai LFX14L5-BS12 LiFePO4 battery?
Yes, I'm running one of those with the stock AC Generator, but I am using a Type A Lithium specific regulator rectifier. It may be hoopla, but it's said LiFePo batteries should have a regulator that has a max set voltage of 14.2. To use a Type A regulator, you'll need the "Nylon Screw" trick on your brushes. IMO, you should replace the old mechanical regulator anyways.

Puerto Rico.
I've never been there but have worked with a few that had family in San Sebastian and Ponce. A gringo friend of mine went for a visit, came back and sold his property and then moved to Rincon on 4 acres he bought from a fellow in NYC.....he likes to surf. My youngest Dottir and her husband took a trip there, belated honeymoon.

Yeah, get some paint stripper and go to it.
On the fuel tank, there's two rubber cups that slip into the oidos on the frame.....thinking you probably have them, and there's a rear rubber bumper that fills that hole where the mounting bolt goes through - and it cushions the rear of the tank to the frame. Seeing yours like that gives me a cringe lol.

The tanks do have a flat section where the petcock(s) mount, though it's hard to see what's going on with yours.
Welcome aboard.
Rincon is great, expensive as hell compared to the rest of the island but still nice.

I got the rubber cups and Im replacing the small one that goes with the tank.

Yes, I'm running one of those with the stock AC Generator, but I am using a Type A Lithium specific regulator rectifier. It may be hoopla, but it's said LiFePo batteries should have a regulator that has a max set voltage of 14.2. To use a Type A regulator, you'll need the "Nylon Screw" trick on your brushes. IMO, you should replace the old mechanical regulator anyways.
Do you have a link or part number of the regulator that you are using?

With that Boyer in there already I'd swap the alternator for a permanent magnet one. If you are wanting to run Lithium ion you need a special regulator that adds a bit of money but not crazy.

Back