'76 XS650C Build / tracker-scrambler / Need help/ Newbie with xs650

RMSTATOR makes this universal rect/reg that is compatible with the HHB PMA. and has the correct charge voltage for a Lithium battery.
DSCN0173-002.JPG

I've never worked on Forks before. If I want to rebuild them all I would need is the fork seals and dust covers?

I've never worked on Forks before. If I want to rebuild them all I would need is the fork seals and dust covers?
Seals & dust covers....and also 10wt fork oil (~6.5 oz each leg). Lots of folks also replace the springs as age can reduce their strength. You'll also need a 17mm allen wrench for the cap and a long 8mm allen for the bottom bolt. A battery or air impact gun with allen sockets is a plus.

Pretty good discussion with pics here (just disregard the shortening/lowering parts)
https://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-rebuild-xs650-forks-install-lowering-kit.5537/

Seals & dust covers....and also 10wt fork oil (~6.5 oz each leg). Lots of folks also replace the springs as age can reduce their strength. You'll also need a 17mm allen wrench for the cap and a long 8mm allen for the bottom bolt. A battery or air impact gun with allen sockets is a plus.

Pretty good discussion with pics here (just disregard the shortening/lowering parts)
https://www.xs650.com/threads/how-to-rebuild-xs650-forks-install-lowering-kit.5537/
Thanks, I've read the thread a few times but wanted to be sure. Is the kit sold on MikeXS any good?

Will the 2-1 XS PERFORMANCE HEADPIPE SET FOR XS650 1980-84 fit my 1976. What sort of modifications would I need to make?

Here's some advice. If you're going to run LED's, DO NOT GET A PMA.

These guys know what they're talking about when it comes to the charging system. I do have a PMA/CDI system and learned the hard way about using LEDs. My stator fries and I had to switch out my fancy LED turn signal headlight with the stock one and add a 100/80w bulb to offset the 200W charging system. Many will tell you that you need to balance the consumption with the supply of watts. If you're consuming only 50-75 watts through LEDs, that leftover 125-150 watts is being sent to your reg/rect to shunt, which is heat.

If I could do it all over again, I would rewire the stock system with modern reg/rect and eliminate the extra stuff (headlight out warning, etc.) as said by the experts here, the stock system puts out what your bike consumes. If you're truly concerned about your battery dying, slap a solar panel on it. Lol

Back