77 650 tire questions

X77S

Let's do this!
Reaction score
Ok stock aluminum wire rims. I ordered tires while away from home. Now I'm thinking I got the incorrect ones. Rear is a
120/90 18. And front is a 100/90 19. Will these work or should I be looking for new sizes?

I'm pretty sure that I went one size too wide in the rear. I'm trying to make it a roller, and the motor is out of the frame. Therefore I can't check if the chain clears and is straight.

You'll be fine with the 120, I've run one going on 5000 miles on my 77.

But those who've run both have reported better (more nimble) handling with a 110. When my 120 eventually wears out I'll likely go with a 110.

Yes, a 120 should fit but it's possible some brands may not. Every tire manufacturer's given sizes seem to vary slightly between brands. But as Daniel said, a 110 is closer to the correct size that the bike was designed for. That was a 4.00 inch size.

I bought shinko 712 front and rear. I ran their 777 on my sportster. Hell of a good tire for the money.

It's good to hear that they will work and I don't have to eat the cost of a tire. I assume that I went a bit wide with a 100/90 on the front. Worse case scenario I get the correct sizes next 5000 miles.

No, the 100/90 is right for the front and is about the biggest that will fit.

Ok stock aluminum wire rims. I ordered tires while away from home. Now I'm thinking I got the incorrect ones. Rear is a
120/90 18. And front is a 100/90 19. Will these work or should I be looking for new sizes?
I'm pretty sure that I went one size too wide in the rear. I'm trying to make it a roller, and the motor is out of the frame. Therefore I can't check if the chain clears and is straight.

Hi X77S,
100/90-19 is the nearest metric tire size to the 3.50-19 stocker. It's near enough the same OD that it won't significantly make a liar out of the speedo and it's still skinny enough to fit in the forks.
120/90-18 is a little larger than the 110/90-18 that's the nearest metric tire size to the Standard's 4.00-18 stocker.
Note that the Special's stocker is a 5.00-16 and it's 130/90-16 metric equivalent clears the chain & swingarm just fine so your 120/90-18 will be OK too.
Mind you, Mr Cheapskate found that running his 130/90-16 full forward in the swingarm to avoid buying a longer chain when fitting a larger rear sprocket
Led to an audible tire rub and a melted ring on the tire sidewall. Perhaps the 120/90-18 just might have a similar problem if it's wheel is adjusted fully forward?

As soon as I get that wheel laced and tire mounted I can check. I started ass backwards and tore down my rear rim since it needed new spokes and had a blowout tire on it. So now I've gotta teach myself to lace and true a wheel. Thinking that I'm at least going to lace it tonight.

Shinko's run bigger than most other brands. The only problem I've had with the bigger Shinko's is on my '86 GoldWing, the front tire barely rubs on a rivet that holds the metal under structure to the ABS fender. I keep looking for a rub line on the side of the tire, no line yet. I just keep tugging on the fender.

You shouldn't have a problem.

Scott

Kind of revisiting this issue. I've finally got a chain on and I've got loads of clearance with a 120 Shinko. I think the 110 would look better because the rear tire is just a smidge taller than the front.

I like 110's and that's all I run. My bike came to me with a 120 on the rear which I wore out before replacing with the proper sized 110. The 110 handles and steers nicer I think. The wider 120 slowed down the steering and handling a little bit. Mind you, not to the point where it was really bad or anything, the bike was just a little more reluctant to being pitched into corners.

Tire manufacturers vary in size a good bit. I have not heard of a 120 failing to fit. I have seen a 140 fitted to a Special, but that is restricted to certain brands. The upside to the 120 is that it will likely have a higher load rating than the 110.

The upside to the 120 is that it will likely have a higher load rating than the 110.
That may be a good thing since I weigh what the max rider 2 up weight probably is. At 285-290 these days. I would love to drop 50 lbs and get back into shape, but that's way more work than I'm willing to put in. Besides, I've been working on this physique for the last 25 years (consistently gaining weight since high school.)

That may be a good thing since I weigh what the max rider 2 up weight probably is. At 285-290 these days. I would love to drop 50 lbs and get back into shape, but that's way more work than I'm willing to put in. Besides, I've been working on this physique for the last 25 years (consistently gaining weight since high school.)

Hi X77S,
all you gotta do is eat less. As one grocery addict to another, you are digging your grave with your teeth.

I think for me it's the Soda and Ice cream. I don't usually eat that much really. A plate of food most meals. At least I can remove my teeth so I don't get dirt in my mouth....

Hi X77S,
so, give up the soda & ice cream and use smaller plates, eh?

Back