77/72 XS650 Disc to Drum ?

xs650-4-me

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might do this. Discs are a PITA. They don't work well in the rain either unless you 'ride' the brake. Suzuki had a good idea, with their T500/Gt750, as they had dual leading shoes, as they used a real rod not a cable, and they had 2 pivots not 1. My BMW R75/5 had a cable, on a drum brake, and the whole thing floated, = disastrous. It would grab and if you were on a wet steel manhole cover, you're down, if you weren't careful. I fixed it with a spring in the right place. I still hate discs.
Back to my XS;
- seems the wheels would never match, unless I got the rear wheel too. Are the R wheels swappable ?
- I would need; wheel and brake parts, forks, brake lever - is that all ?
- are forks the same diameter ? Is the spacing right so they fit in the 72 or 77 triple clamps ? If not, how far off are they ?

I wonder, has anyone put a drum hub/wheel in a disc fork ? Is the spacing wrong ? Obviously there would have to be an adapter (my Father could make one with his Bridgeport, if he wasn't 80+).

Sorry, yes, i thought that my mention of 'fork', plus the fact my XS's are 72/77 (both disc in the front) made it clear. Yes, I'm thinking of turning 1 or both to drum in the front.

Back