'77-'79 Standard In-Dash Voltmeter

5twins, excellent.
Can you please tell me how easy it is to read the voltmeter in daylight or direct sun? I ran a similar voltmeter for a while, but it was pretty much impossible to read in the Texas sun. I think TwoManyXS1Bs had the same problem but either found an easier-to-read meter or did some mod or something that made it readable.

Unfortunately, you can't see it very well in mid day direct sunlight, but earlier and later in the day, it shows up just fine. In the direct sunlight, if you cup your hand over it at a stop, you can read it. Any shade, like passing under some trees, allows you to see it too. But, even some of the factory lights, like the neutral light, can be difficult to see in direct sunlight.

Yeah, the visibility in direct sunlight is a concern. I think that choice of diffuser lens, and recessed mounting (like down in a hole), could help here...

I used the red L.E.D. one. They also come in yellow, green, and blue. Maybe one of those might illuminate better?

Yes Pete, I think your dash cover has been changed. According to this eBay listing, it should say "Brake Lining" .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1976-Yamaha-XS650-Instrument-Gauge-Cluster/263003839936

Wow - great info 5T! I went and bought this cluster as it has the correct labelling and chrome rings (so it's actually a part of Lucille's beautification program).

I wonder what bike it came off of - because it looks exactly like mine except for the chrome rings and the oil light label. Very odd

Anyhow, thanks!

Pete

Wow - great info 5T! I went and bought this cluster as it has the correct labelling and chrome rings (so it's actually a part of Lucille's beautification program).

I wonder what bike it came off of - because it looks exactly like mine except for the chrome rings and the oil light label. Very odd

Anyhow, thanks!

Pete
prolly off a triple from the era (XS750,850 1100) they have very similar gauges.

Yes they ACT all prim and proper, but most of them got sullied back in the day.
Is the speedo 140MPH or um 225KPH, that's a pretty good triple gauges tip off.

Hmmm - well, she has a 140 mph speedo which made sense to me because I don't think Canada went to km/hr speedos until around 1978 (Lucille is a 1976 C-model). Having said that 140 mph seems a little....optimistic...for an XS650, even a "racy" example like Lucille.

I would guess that the only time an XS650 ever hit 140 mph was if it fell off a cliff - and that wasn't the only thing it hit on that particular trip.

Can you tell me what the top speed on a US mph XS650 speedo would be? I know that the magazine tests listed a top speed of just around 100 mph (some a bit more and some a bit less) - so I would guess that 120 mph speedo would be a reasonable number.

However, she also has a 7500 rpm redline tach, which is correct for an XS650. I don't know what the redline was on an XS750 triple and I don't think that the 4-cylinder XS1100 came out till 1978-79. The two instrument faces appear to match in terms of colour and degree of fading - of which there is very little IMO, etc.

Anyhow, the mystery of Lucille and her spicy and mysterious past, deepens....

IMG_0322.JPG

If GeorgeOC's resto project is any indication then you should have chrome rings on the gauges.

The LED voltmeter is a fine effort by Daniel Black and 5T, and may be suitable for some. However, I only ride in the day time, and I want a voltmeter that I can see any time, including bright sun light.
I installed a cheap analog voltmeter, quite a few years ago, and it continues to work perfectly.
Enjoy your LED meters, but its just not for me.
Voltmeter.jpg

Back