'77-'79 Standard In-Dash Voltmeter

Don't have a 76 set but 74 was 140, 79 standard is 120.... Sorry about the mis-lead I don't think the Xs triples ever had that 76 gauge type they looked like the 77 on sets.

79 008.JPG
DSCN7383.JPG

My '78 is a 140, as depicted in post #1. Maybe Yamaha came to their senses in '79, lol.

Who hasn't seen a dummy in parking lot looking at the speedo to "see how fast it goes"?
I quit doing top end runs about 30 years ago. The 81 CB900F would make it to 130 down hill, (Road America back straight). Think I saw 140 on the ZX14 but that was no where near top.....Couldn't sell that bike fast enough! Owned it about 3 weeks much longer and I wouldn't be here.

Last edited:
From flea bay Advertised as 1976 XS650
s-l1600.jpg

Another, note; these 76 gauges had a greenish background.

s-l1600.jpg

Well, I guess I'll find out when Canada Post brings those gauges to the Disaster Central Workshop sometime in the next week or so, 'cause, I bought 'em!

PS - love that faux wood grain look on the '74 & '75 gauge cluster. Sort of Japan meets Ford Country Squire...esque! All that extra real estate just begs for someone to install a whole bunch of LED's idiot lights and extra gauges:
  • charge indicator
  • fuel pressure gauge
  • exhaust gas temp gauge
  • election seat safe indicator
  • round-counter for the dumb-cager warning/alert system
  • mach-meter

Last edited:
Hmmm - well, she has a 140 mph speedo which made sense to me because I don't think Canada went to km/hr speedos until around 1978 (Lucille is a 1976 C-model). Having said that 140 mph seems a little....optimistic...for an XS650, even a "racy" example like Lucille.

I would guess that the only time an XS650 ever hit 140 mph was if it fell off a cliff - and that wasn't the only thing it hit on that particular trip.

Can you tell me what the top speed on a US mph XS650 speedo would be? I know that the magazine tests listed a top speed of just around 100 mph (some a bit more and some a bit less) - so I would guess that 120 mph speedo would be a reasonable number.

However, she also has a 7500 rpm redline tach, which is correct for an XS650. I don't know what the redline was on an XS750 triple and I don't think that the 4-cylinder XS1100 came out till 1978-79. The two instrument faces appear to match in terms of colour and degree of fading - of which there is very little IMO, etc.

Anyhow, the mystery of Lucille and her spicy and mysterious past, deepens....

View attachment 101455
G'day Pete,
The XS750 tachometer went to 8500RPM FWIW.

G'day Geedubya - thanks for the info. I think that confirms that Lucille does have a genuine XS650 set of gauges.

That still does not explain why the brake lining indicator light is labelled "Oil".

Perhaps it's a typo.....:sneaky:

G'day Geedubya - thanks for the info. I think that confirms that Lucille does have a genuine XS650 set of gauges.

That still does not explain why the brake lining indicator light is labelled "Oil".

Perhaps it's a typo.....:sneaky:

G'day Pete,

With these bikes being 40 years old they are like an old hooker.

Everyone has had a go at it!!!

My '76 had all sorts of stuff on it that was XS650 'coz every PO needed to replace something and if it was XS650 close enough was good enough.

My '76 s the US colour "French Blue" and I have had to change out many parts including the instruments.

It is only money LOL!!!

GW

Back