77 bobber build

First bike build and I've done so much out of order.
Experience doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it right. That's what a buddy told me anyway..... :rolleyes:

20210707_211826.jpg
20210707_211906.jpg
20210707_211851.jpg
20210707_211837.jpg
Checked the advance rod timing, it is good.
I was able to mount the engine in this evening and start playing with things. Still not sure on stock peg location. Started playing with fender location, still havent decided on that either. Tank will have to be spaced up about a 1/2" so it clears the upper mount. Speaking of upper mounts what is the "gizmo" hanging out between them and do I need to keep it? It's pretty well hidden so it's no big deal either way.

Anyone need a 3.8l buick motor that got ran dry? My oldest son kinda forgot to check the oil and didnt bother telling me it was barely running until it locked up. Some people's kids.

What gizmo? Got a pic?
Pass on the 3.8 B. Wife had one in her Grand Prix. Was a great little motor....'till it wasn't. :cautious:

I'll have to take it apart tomorrow and grab a picture. It's about 2" long metal capsule with 2 bullet connectors. I figure as soon as I pitch it, I will need it.

That's the one. I think I saved all the doodads and whatnots will have to post them up and see what's needed. I'm no electrical fella. I can read simple diagrams, but what each thing does or if it's needed is a mystery. Now show me a fire sprinkler system or anything mechanical and I can figure things out!

Question: on the drive chain, how much does one stretch if at all? I assume it may stretch a bit, just trying to decide if I can mount the rear fender rigid or if I need to account for adjustments.

I think there's almost 2" of chain adjustment on the swing arm. I've used most of that during the... ahem.... poorer periods of my life. :rolleyes:
Might want to leave yourself some wiggle room.

Ok, I'm down to trying to find a few parts. I need to find some rubber bushings for the foot peg mounts, and some riser bushings. I'd almost rather have some solid mounts or even polyurethane. One of my risers is bent as well. Are there any forum made products for these items or cheap alternatives?

Also, I've got to get my front brakes figured out. I've only got a caliper. What size master cylinder is everyone liking? As far as the brake lines and hoses are concerned I want to do braided lines, but I'm unsure of the best way to measure for them and if it's better to have a one piece or split in 2. I know I had a connection on the bottom fork, but I'm not sure where it got off to.

Other than that I bought some sheet metal for a seat and to mount the rear fender. And I've got to figure out all the wiring.

I need to find some rubber bushings for the foot peg mounts, and some riser bushings. I'd almost rather have some solid mounts or even polyurethane. One of my risers is bent as well. Are there any forum made products for these items or cheap alternatives?
Sumo Rubber went to the bother of joining the forum and introducing themselves. That counts for something. I know other members have bought from them. I haven't heard any complaints

https://sumorubber.com/xs650-xs650se

Sumo Rubber went to the bother of joining the forum and introducing themselves. That counts for something. I know other members have bought from them. I haven't heard any complaints

They definitely look like quality parts. I'm not sure I want to pay that for the foot peg rubbers since I'm not sure how long i will use them. Going to see if the foot position is going to be good or not. It's going to be pretty cramped I think, but I wont know til I get the seat made.

- - - I've got to get my front brakes figured out. I've only got a caliper. What size master cylinder is everyone liking? As far as the brake lines and hoses are concerned I want to do braided lines, but I'm unsure of the best way to measure for them and if it's better to have a one piece or split in 2.- - -

Hi X77S,
I'd recommend using a between 10mm & 13mm brake lever piston & a single full length wire braid reinforced plastic brake line.
One long brake line costs less than two short ones plus there's only half of the potential leakage points.

Question: on the drive chain, how much does one stretch if at all? I assume it may stretch a bit, just trying to decide if I can mount the rear fender rigid or if I need to account for adjustments.

Hi X77S
us nitpickers reckon that drive chains don't stretch at all. What they do is get longer as their joints wear.
So yeah, best you mount that hugger rear fender to move with the rear wheel as you adjust the drive chain tension.
My quick check for drive chain wear:- See how far the chain will pull off the rear sprocket, If more than a rollersworth, it's worn out

I've plan on slotting the front mount to move back and forth at least for now. I've got some 1/2" round to play with as well as some 1/8" flat. I suppose if I used the flat could make the lower mount attach to the rear axle then transition to round stock. That would give me equal adjustments fore and aft.

I need to find some rubber bushings for the foot peg mounts, and some riser bushings. I'd almost rather have some solid mounts or even polyurethane.

I bought them from Sumo. I've had months of use only. I certainly have no complaints thus far.

My issue is with the dropped seat area, the stock position may be too close. I hate to spend that kind of money on some rubber bushings if the foot position isnt going to work for me. I figured if it was 5 or 10 bucks no biggie. As far as the bar bushings, I've got 2 that were cracked. Still pretty on the fence about using those.

Back