77 Cafe Project

Wow - love it! Can I ask where got the seat and the NOS XS750 gas tank?

Nice work!

Pete

Wow - love it! Can I ask where got the seat and the NOS XS750 gas tank?

Nice work!

Pete

Hi again! I hadn't realized how old this thread was - but I've now read all of it. You've been through a heck of a lot my friend.

It looks like Roccity is kaput and I now know where you got the tank. Anyhow, I am following your work with great interest!

Pete.

sorry to hear, speedy recovery to you and a happy new year! looking forward to seeing more progerss!

Thanks, I am doing pretty good these days, up to my fanny in guitar amp work lol.

Well after being in Minnesota for a year, my shop is still non- functional, but this winter I will set aside Saturdays to clean it cleaned up and start working on the 650 again.

Any recommendations for the following upgrades?

1. Altnerator
2. Ignition
3. Battery options that are SMALL lol, has to fit under the seat.
4. Exhaust, I like the looks of the MAC TT system, has the look that I wanted.

On the tank, it was NOS ofr of EBAY and I paid too much lol. But it fits the CAFE style.

Welcome back! I thought this thread looked familiar.

You will find plenty of hotly contested threads here on the topic of alternator. Roughly 1/2 the board likes the PMA conversion and the other half likes the stock system and it's tried n' true durability.

I looked at MAC exhaust options too. Just be aware they may not answer you. I emailed them twice and never heard back so I went a different direction.

Welcome back! I thought this thread looked familiar.

You will find plenty of hotly contested threads here on the topic of alternator. Roughly 1/2 the board likes the PMA conversion and the other half likes the stock system and it's tried n' true durability.

I looked at MAC exhaust options too. Just be aware they may not answer you. I emailed them twice and never heard back so I went a different direction.

Ok thanks for the input, SAD that MAC didn't respond. Guess they don't need the business. The TT option looked nice. Not going to stay in business with that operating practice.

Yes, the charging system debate is quite spirited. Personally, I prefer the stock one. It works very well and with a few low cost upgrades, even better. You will read quite a lot about problems with it, but it's 30 to 40 years old so I think some are to be expected by now. On the other hand, you will also read lots about PMA problems. That shouldn't be happening. They are brand new systems for crying out loud. It kind of makes me think there will be few, if any, of them still functioning in 10 or 20 years.

The major flaw I see with that MAC TT system is that you would have to remove it to change the oil. That's a problem because the 650 needs frequent oil changes, like every 1000 miles. That aspect alone would be enough to put me off that system, but the MAC systems have some other issues as well. I see all now use 1 3/4" headpipes. That's a bit large for the 650. 1.5" is generally regarded as best, an improvement over the too small about 1.25" stock pipes. You would need to add AR or torque inserts at the head to those 1.75" pipes for them to work best.

The other long standing issue with MAC headpipes, and I see from looking at their current pics that they haven't corrected it, is that the sealing lip that fits into the head is very small and narrow .....

xjgfpf3.jpg

I have stand alone MAC headpipes that I've been running for many years and they were the same way. They leaked and sputtered like crazy at the head because that narrow sealing flange just wouldn't. I fixed the problem by making inserts from the ends of old stock headpipes and they seal up great now .....

1rc0sYU.jpg

OGYLZGG.jpg

The inserts center them in the port and hold them firmly on the seal ring.

Thanks, I am doing pretty good these days, up to my fanny in guitar amp work lol.

Well after being in Minnesota for a year, my shop is still non- functional, but this winter I will set aside Saturdays to clean it cleaned up and start working on the 650 again.

Any recommendations for the following upgrades?

1. Altnerator
2. Ignition
3. Battery options that are SMALL lol, has to fit under the seat.
4. Exhaust, I like the looks of the MAC TT system, has the look that I wanted.

On the tank, it was NOS ofr of EBAY and I paid too much lol. But it fits the CAFE style.
pma system from hughs hand built and you can run a capacitor if your going without an electric start
if running an electric start do not fall for the lithium batteries, they don't hold up
hhb also sells a cdi setup thats worth every penny
as far as exhaust goes. thats more personal preference

sorry to hear, speedy recovery to you and a happy new year! looking forward to seeing more progerss!

I was damn lucky there were no lasting effects from the stroke. Took time to get my shop set up here in Minnesota, luckily I have a heated workspace for the 650, I just hope I can find all of the parts I had bought lol.

But the project is back on in a more usuable shop. With powder coat tools, blast cabinet and HEAT... When did I start this project, before my first wife passed away in about 2012. Well you cant do these things all at once.

Last edited:
Back