77D,Installed rear tail light LED bulb, how do I turn off light checker?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
As above, after burning out many 1157 rear tail light bulbs,pretty sure from vibration as wiring seems good finally decided to try a LED bulb. After install noticed my brake light on dash pod will flash constantly when bikes running.How do I disconnect the checker.I have already removed the head light checker unit (Located above battery) and rewired as per info on this site and worked great.Time to lose the rear checker. Clymer manual useless, have a parts manual for a 76 but they must have changed were it is or how it works.Think this 77 is a one year wonder for many things I've noticed.Pulled both side covers and dont see anything that appears similar to a 76.Can someone with a 77 advise where and what I need to disconnect.Thx

RT ,you always have the answer,will do.Thx
If anyone has a 77 , still curious what Yammi did in 77.
I combed the wiring harness and can,t find anything that would resemble a light checker unit.
Could it be built into the Light Relay on the right side?

On my '78, it's located behind the battery box between it and the plastic inner fender. You can't even see it. Yours is probably there too. It's a little rubber block similar to the self canceling unit, only a little smaller.

I plan on doing the same thing. I had the same problem you encountered when I put an L.E.D. tail light bulb in. My dash light was on all the time. I just removed the bulb because it was easier than getting to the light checker unit. I figured some day I would pull it, maybe at the next tire change.

Daniel Black has this set-up but I was hoping not to have to run additional wires into the headlight bucket to power the meter like he did. I was hoping the necessary connections could be made right in the dash pod. I did some wiring diagram studying and it turns out they can, right at that brake light warning bulb socket. The bulb for this warning light is fed constant (switched) power right from the key on it's positive (brown) wire. The light checker activates the bulb by switching the ground on and off. So, all that needs to be done is to make that ground permanent. That can be done back at the plug for the light checker on top of the battery box. It has 3 wires, a yellow coming from the tail light, a green/white which is the ground connection to the bulb, and a black wire which is a full time ground (to the frame). So, you simply need to jumper the black to the green/white and the bulb socket will have a constant ground.

So, how does one go about tapping into the bulb socket? I'm going to use one of these, a bare bulb base .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182574517217?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'll attach the voltmeter wires to it and "plug" it in the bulb socket.

Nice job 5T! Please keep us updated on how this turns out.I really like the simplicity of this mod you've come up with.
If you can add what LED you purchased and how it was installed tutorial that would be a BONUS!
I think many will be doing this for years to come. Maybe if your interested in purchasing all the required parts and putting together
a kit, we could purchase it from u.Just a thought...
ps: I read a while ago that u may have been interested in a key switch from a 77 for your 78 scoot.
I changed mine out for a new unit thinking there was an issue but it was my Rectifier that was the problem.
If u still want one u can have mine complete with key. N/C for all the help u have been the last 3 years.
Send me a pm if interested

I plan on doing the same thing. I had the same problem you encountered when I put an L.E.D. tail light bulb in. My dash light was on all the time. I just removed the bulb because it was easier than getting to the light checker unit. I figured some day I would pull it, maybe at the next tire change.

Daniel Black has this set-up but I was hoping not to have to run additional wires into the headlight bucket to power the meter like he did. I was hoping the necessary connections could be made right in the dash pod. I did some wiring diagram studying and it turns out they can, right at that brake light warning bulb socket. The bulb for this warning light is fed constant (switched) power right from the key on it's positive (brown) wire. The light checker activates the bulb by switching the ground on and off. So, all that needs to be done is to make that ground permanent. That can be done back at the plug for the light checker on top of the battery box. It has 3 wires, a yellow coming from the tail light, a green/white which is the ground connection to the bulb, and a black wire which is a full time ground (to the frame). So, you simply need to jumper the black to the green/white and the bulb socket will have a constant ground.

So, how does one go about tapping into the bulb socket? I'm going to use one of these, a bare bulb base .....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182574517217?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'll attach the voltmeter wires to it and "plug" it in the bulb socket.

5T, did you ever do this?
I have a brake light LED ordered, should be here shortly.
I assume with an LED bulb, it will trigger brake lamp checker and tach warning light will flash accordingly.
I would rather not pull the bulb in the tach if that can be avoided, would prefer to remove or modify checker unit on my 76....any idea where it is? And is a mod going to keep warning light from flashing?

Thanks.

Nevermind 5T, I was able trace the yellow wire and figured out where the brake bulb checker was, mounted to the rear of the battery box, unplugged and the warning light stopped blinking without a brake light bulb in place. I assume thats how it will act once an LED is set in place.
Thanks anyway....good to know the doctor is always on call.

Yes, with the simple 3 wire light checker on your '76 and my '78, you can simply unplug it to disable the dash light. I eventually did remove the unit when I had the rear wheel off and could get at the rear of the battery box, but it won't hurt anything to run with it just unplugged but still in place.

Yes, an L.E.D. tail light bulb will trigger the light checker unit. I guess the voltage draw of this new bulb is so low the checker unit thinks it's burned out, lol.

Back