Sold / Found / Inactive - '78 TRACKER BUILD

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
***TAKEN OFF MARKET. WAS ABLE TO SELL ANOTHER TOY TO FINANCE TRUCK PURCHASE***

I've owned this bike for 10 years and worked on it and collected a lot of nice parts for it throughout this time. This is a project that would require very little to have a nice finished tracker. I have title in hand.

Frame: rear fender mounts, passenger peg mounts and seat hinges de-tabbed. Timken neck bearings & bronze swing arm bushings installed. Could use a coat of paint.

Motor: fresh top end with zero miles. Cylinders honed, stock pistons with new STD size rings. Compression readings dry at 150 lbs per cylinder. CB Performance elephant foot valve adjusters. Single outlet head breather. Upgraded E type cam tensioner. One pc clutch pushrod with new seal installed. Mikes XS Performance electronic ignition and coil. Kickstart only, but provisions made in harness to easily hook the starter back up. Starter motor still installed in motor and start button is wired up to handlebar control.

Carbs: stock 78-79 style BS38. Sent to Rick West at Old Skool Carbs and rebuilt and meticulously cleaned. All new stainless allen hardware. Never had fuel in them since rebuild.

Wheels: 19" mags front and rear with Omar's conversion kit. Nicely painted with all new bearings. Front has Hugh's speedo delete and a custom rotor mount beauty ring made my forum member Beags64. Good 4.0 x 19 DURO tires with no miles.

Brakes: master cylinders and calipers rebuilt. Braided stainless lines. Neither has had any fluid added. Front rotor is EBC stainless drilled (very light), rear is factory drillled. Both painted to match mags.

Other parts:
seat by Counter Balance Cycles
Pandemonium Yo-Mama pipes
Telefix fork brace
headlight and mounts off Yam TY250. upgraded from 6v to 12v bulb.
Rick's motorsports Reg/Rec.
custom wiring harness made with factory style bullet connectors and mini blade fuse block.
NOS Redwing Hammerhead shocks

*I will get some pictures up later tonight when I get time. Only reason I am selling is that I need to buy a new truck, so one of the toys needs to go. Asking price is firm at $2000. Well worth it considering all the work and new parts on it.

Last edited:
9AC0060D-5D7F-427D-B088-99BFF274B9C9.jpeg 8683428E-F549-4C12-99A0-4606C7CD7CE8.jpeg 6A5157C2-AB12-4522-8D79-41EE3D01D5CB.jpeg 26BB2078-1A85-43CA-B99A-7D1009337001.jpeg EDFC68DC-C2C3-44E3-91B7-496E889C8A27.jpeg 0FE88A77-432F-4649-A821-40D993C45AF3.jpeg

The solid black side covers are gone. It has the covers with perforated panels though. They need a bit more fitment work though. Can provide more specific pictures upon request. Also, comes with the Star Black tank not the bare metal special tank.

Attachments

• 03F57911-F0F8-421F-AEB6-61B8DD0175A2.jpeg
    03F57911-F0F8-421F-AEB6-61B8DD0175A2.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 221
  • B95BAC74-C98C-476B-97EC-A4B974E8B5A7.jpeg
    B95BAC74-C98C-476B-97EC-A4B974E8B5A7.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 231
willis. Your tracker project is a great buy for someone looking to finish one up. Having built several trackers myself I can just look at this and tell what you`ve really got there. The NOS Hammerhead shocks alone are $400+ and rarely come up for sale. This is a really great buy.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
BTW what Yamaha is that headlight from?

The headlight is off a 70’s Yamaha TY250. It was originally a 6v light but I managed to track down an OEM 12v built that plugs right in. I actually bought two bulbs knowing they may not be very common. I’ve enjoyed working on this bike. I bought it just before my son was born and I quit riding for several years. It was therapeutic for me to work on it even though I wasn’t riding at the time. It has a lot of great parts and is at a point where someone could easily make it there own style. It’s not that I want to sell it, but as I said, I need to buy a new truck. When it came down to it my 75 is the bike I’ll be keeping. Also selling a really nice Fatboy if you know anyone looking.... :thumbsup:

I just looked on eBait and those headlights are "Mega Bucks".:yikes: I`ve got one that came with some 175 stuff a guy gave me but never knew what it was for.

I can provide the part number for the 12v bulb if you are interested.

I've owned this bike for 10 years and worked on it and collected a lot of nice parts for it throughout this time. This is a project that would require very little to have a nice finished tracker. I have title in hand.

Frame: rear fender mounts, passenger peg mounts and seat hinges de-tabbed. Timken neck bearings & bronze swing arm bushings installed. Could use a coat of paint.

Motor: fresh top end with zero miles. Cylinders honed, stock pistons with new STD size rings. Compression readings dry at 150 lbs per cylinder. CB Performance elephant foot valve adjusters. Single outlet head breather. Upgraded E type cam tensioner. One pc clutch pushrod with new seal installed. Mikes XS Performance electronic ignition and coil.

Carbs: stock 78-79 style BS38. Sent to Rick West at Old Skool Carbs and rebuilt and meticulously cleaned. All new stainless allen hardware. Never had fuel in them since rebuild.

Wheels: 19" mags front and rear with Omar's conversion kit. Nicely painted with all new bearings. Front has Hugh's speedo delete and a custom rotor mount beauty ring made my forum member Beags64. Good 4.0 x 19 DURO tires with no miles.

Brakes: master cylinders and calipers rebuilt. Braided stainless lines. Neither has had any fluid added. Front rotor is EBC stainless drilled (very light), rear is factory drillled. Both painted to match mags.

Other parts:
seat by Counter Balance Cycles
Pandemonium Yo-Mama pipes
Telefix fork brace
headlight and mounts off Yam TY250. upgraded from 6v to 12v bulb.
Rick's motorsports Reg/Rec.
custom wiring harness made with factory style bullet connectors and mini blade fuses.
NOS Redwing Hammerhead shocks

*I will get some pictures up later tonight when I get time. Only reason I am selling is that I need to buy a new truck, so one of the toys needs to go. Asking price is firm at $2000. Well worth it considering all the work and new parts on it.

The “other parts” in the listing are already installed on the bike. I do have a lot of extra parts as I have another xs, but this listing is for what is pictured. I have more than 3k invested in this project and the selling price is a bargain for what you are getting. It will take very little to complete this in the style of your choice.

Those bars are a triumph western bend. I wanted something a little more upright but with a wide stance.

Back