78' xs650 possible damage...

t_t_bui

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys new to the bike, forum, and everything.

My friend, who has experience working with engine but not bikes or yamaha, told me to reach out to the community. I have a 78 xs650 that upon draining the oil and removing the plate covers has a lot of metal shavings in it.

I took the cylinder head off and see the camshaft.

Was wondering of I need to replace this and is there other issues I need to investigate / replace?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210721_121428.jpg
    20210721_121428.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210721_121417.jpg
    20210721_121417.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 137
Had the rubber come off the front guide? I might buff that cam, see if the marks are just aluminum smudges from aluminum cam guide scrapings or if it's wear.
So my answer (guess) is it depends.

It might be a good idea to get yourself a manual - there are free ones on-line, or buy a hard copy which will pay for itself many times over.

I would test the shavings with a magnet
Did you drive the machine before ? for how long any signals ?
As Gary says it is Difficult to tell But after finding the fault
One needs more info but My first guess would be a replacement cam is needed
Once you are in there .might as well rise the bar so to speak do a job so it last a while
Do a bit more since it is such a big job even to lift engine out and in
Valve inspection .Seats .new CAM Bearings and so

Hey guys new to the bike, forum, and everything.

My friend, who has experience working with engine but not bikes or yamaha, told me to reach out to the community. I have a 78 xs650 that upon draining the oil and removing the plate covers has a lot of metal shavings in it.

I took the cylinder head off and see the camshaft.

Was wondering of I need to replace this and is there other issues I need to investigate / replace?

Thanks
Like @gggGary said give them a light buffing, form the pictures it looks like pretty normal wear. I would think that cam is fine. But your front cam chain guide is probably in need of replacement, most are.

Back