79 carburetor question.

Badracing

XS650 Member
Reaction score
OK! Finally got started on the 79 cafe racer. Bike is taken down to the frame. Got a 79 donor bike since the project bike was missing a few parts and it's nice to have a physical specimen to use as a guide. The project bike carburetors are seperate, needing two cables, the donor bikes are fastened together with brackets and do not have all the vent tubing.
So my question is, is one way better than the other? It would seem that the ones with the brackets would open simultaneously better. I will leave it up to the experts to tell me which way is better. Thanks in advance Bob.

Not an expert by any means but I prefer the linked carbs with a single cable. Ran aftermarket carbs with dual cables and was a pita to sync the carbs. Single cable also frees up precious space under the tank.

If your throttle, (on the handlebars), is single cable then it would be easer to swap in the linked carbs that operate with a single throttle cable.

will need to make sure the donor 79 bike is a 79 and not an 80 with BS34's. Not that BS34's matter, it is they will need to have different Carb manifolds and the jetting needs to b specific for 34's

The carbs on these bikes were linked or bolted together as a "bank" from '76 on. If your parts bike has carbs that are separate units, they are older than '76. The linked carbs are better for all the reasons mentioned, and also they would be newer.

Going to take the advice to do the linked set. I appreciate your feedback as always. I'm sure there will be more.

Back