79 Special refurb complete

pckopp

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
A few vintages ago I bought this bike from a guy in Montana. I lived in Seattle at the time and his sister lived nearby and was getting married soon so he brought it to me.

xs650right.jpg

"Ran when I parked it." So I parked it in my garage for awhile. Finally, I flushed the tank, cleaned the carbs, put new spark plugs and a battery and it fired up. Now it really did run when I parked it.

It had pods on the carbs, no airbox, and a very hacked up wiring harness. It wouldn't charge the battery.

Gradually, I made it run better. My friend vapor blasted the carbs and I rebuilt them.
Battery
Wiring harness
Voltage regulator
Signal blinker
Air boxes and filters
One of the lighting modules failed. ebay solved that
Chain and sprockets

It came with a sissy bar seat and an odd rear turn signal mounting scheme. Found a normal seat, replaced the signal mounting hardware with something closer to stock and it was beginning to be what I wanted.

Still didn't run quite right. I have two sets of carbs and both had issues. Or so I thought. A friend helped me and he soon spotted the badly cracked nipples on the vacuum barbs on the intake manifolds. Carb problems solved! They both balanced nicely and run well.

With plenty of time at home this year, I got it finished. Are they ever really finished? I worked my way through the list.
New sump oil filter, change oil and filter.
Minton Mods ( the corrected ones ), new fork seals and oil, 1/2" spacer.
Steering head bearings
Daytona bars and new grips
Aftermarket front rotor, new pads and new master cylinder
New Bridgestone Spitfire Touring S11 tires
New head bolt washers, torqued the heads, adjusted the valves, adjusted the cam chain
Found the hardware to latch the seat up
Replaced the bent center stand with a straight one

Still to do:
rear shocks
at some point swing arm bushings,
maybe a windscreen if I decide to go touring
Need some mirrors I like
Looking for a seat grab rail
The bottom of the engine and counter shaft sprocket area still look bad. No leaks, tho.

My wife has a blue 78 Special and a lot of the paint is coming off her wheels. These are nearly perfect so I may swap with her then strip the wheels and leave them natural or pick a color.

Anyway, it does feel good to have that project checked off the list! A big thank you to all the generous experts here. Couldn't have done it without you!

right79.jpg

left79.jpg

(Not my shop. The tire machine lives here.)

Well done pckopp. She looks a treat. Recently got my own '78 back together and she also looks good and runs fine. My refurb list is almost identical to your own so there is a commonality in this process as well as the patience and persistence required. I kept the buckhorns in the name of originality and did the top end. I also stripped my cast wheels back and left them natural - just require an occasional wipe over.I agree with you on the assistance in this Forum - invaluable. Enjoy!
Cheers

Looks nice! My '79 also has the buckhorn bars and while I'm a big believer in originality, I hate the bars! I suspect one day I'm going to break down and replace 'em. When you swapped the bars did you reuse the existing cables/hoses or did you switch to the shorter ones?

Mike

Have you considered gaiters? They'll protect the fork seals and tubes better than the factory dust wipers, and they look very "old school" .....

1JaeEIl.jpg

EHY8Kie.jpg

mo4cWPo.jpg

The ones I use are made for truck shocks. They're cheap, available in a multitude of colors, and last darn near forever. The black ones above have been installed and in use on my '78 for about 15 years now.

Here's my '78 with one of my sons at the helm. I stripped the wheels 'cause I like the "spoke" effect when she's rolling with the sun lighting her up. You can sand them back but the surface remains pretty coarse. I used stripper and a stiff brush. I imagine some form of blasting would be the go. I wipe them over after each decent ride and they seem to hold up. This is winter in Queensland by the way - 3 days 'til spring.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 197
Here's my '78 with one of my sons at the helm. I stripped the wheels 'cause I like the "spoke" effect when she's rolling with the sun lighting her up. You can sand them back but the surface remains pretty coarse. I used stripper and a stiff brush. I imagine some form of blasting would be the go. I wipe them over after each decent ride and they seem to hold up. This is winter in Queensland by the way - 3 days 'til spring.
Cheers
Nice bike! It is a twin to my Yammy.

Mike

Then we're both set Mike. Pity there's an ocean between us or we could share a few beers and tell lies about our abilities. Enjoy that ride, I know what it feels like!
Cheers

Back