'79 XS650 Build project.

2BallCane

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So some of you may know that I have started a build project, but I thought it would be wise to consolidate and keep the build as its own thread with pictures and progress reports.

For those of you who don't know, I purchased this bike from a friend for $200 because he gave up riding after seeing a tragic motorcycle accident.

My plans for the bike is to make it scrambler/tracker/cafe-esque. Nothing exact, just what I like. I don't plan on doing a full tear down, but instead just updating things to make it a modern daily driver.

Things I have already purchased:

HHB complete PMA/CDI kit
Unipod foam filters
Carburetor rebuild kit
Protaper Evo handlebars-Windham
Manual petcocks

Things I plan on buying:

Motogadget M-unit
Pandemonium yo mama exhaust
2 black cone mufflers
6"x36" heat shield for muscle car side pipes (you'll see why)
Exhaust wrap
Led/turn signal integrated headlight
Led rear turn signals/running/brake light
New tires
Anti-gravity 8 cell lithium battery
New brake lever/clutch lever
Grips
Catch can for venting crank case
And other stuff I can't think of.

What I'm going to do:
For the exhaust, I want to put mufflers on the pipes and after wrapping them, put that single heat shield to cover both pipes so it's similar to a Honda CB350 scrambler.
Aside from updating the lights to LED, I'm going to redo the wiring and be rid of the reserve lighting system and simplify it with the M-unit. I'm going to retain the stock hand controls, but may change later if needed.

So I'm welcome to ideas, questions, concerns, criticism, and complements. I hope to finish in the spring.

2BC

Attachments

• IMG_20211111_160644.jpg
    IMG_20211111_160644.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20211111_154624.jpg
    IMG_20211111_154624.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20211111_153915.jpg
    IMG_20211111_153915.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
For improved function, I would suggest a complete front brake master sylinder with 12-14 mm bore, a braided brake hose, good brake pads, and a lighter disc. I use a 13 mm Brembo master cylinder on both my XS and my RD 350A.

For improved function, I would suggest a complete front brake master sylinder with 12-14 mm bore, a braided brake hose, good brake pads, and a lighter disc. I use a 13 mm Brembo master cylinder on both my XS and my RD 350A.
Could you link me to some examples?
I did want to get new hoses, pads, and rotors. Just forgot to add to the list.

The HHB charging system should have the right shunt reg/rec for that lithium battery. Those batteries are sensitive to overcharging and vibrations. Also need that special charger/tender for the off season. Personally, I’m getting away from Antigravity and other lithium batteries. Just my opinion.

You'll want to add S.S. brake lines to your list. They're all over eBay now and cheap, less than $10 each. For your front brake with the lower bars, you'll want a line 90cm long.

The UNI model you picked isn't the best choice. That short filter with the capped end really flows no more than stock. I know because a local guy put those on his '78 Special (same carb set as yours) and we didn't have to re-jet at all. The best version is the 4" long UP4200. This is all foam, including the ends .....

1GjnNlo.jpg

No catch can needed for the engine breather lines. Instead, fit power brake check valves and poise them over the UNIs. Any oil that does drip out will just be absorbed by the filter .....

NM4t1Dh.jpg

Last edited:
The HHB charging system should have the right shunt reg/rec for that lithium battery. Those batteries are sensitive to overcharging and vibrations. Also need that special charger/tender for the off season. Personally, I’m getting away from Antigravity and other lithium batteries. Just my opinion.

I did have some reservations about using lithium, it was appealing because of its smaller size and can be mounted in any position. The kit came with a MOSFET R/R, but I know lithium likes to burst into flames occasionally. Is there another suitable battery that isn't acid?

You'll want to add S.S. brake lines to your list. They're all over eBay now and cheap, less than $10 each. For your front brake with the lower bars, you'll want a line 90cm long.

The UNI model you picked isn't the best choice. That short filter with the capped end really flows no more than stock. I know because a local guy put those on his '78 Special (same carb set as yours) and we didn't have to re-jet at all. The best version is the 4" long UP4200. This is all foam, including the ends .....

1GjnNlo.jpg

I'm not concerned about higher performance from the filters, if they're close to stock and don't require re-jetting, then they're perfect. I hate tuning carbs, such a long process with many variables.

With the pipes you're considering, you're going to need to. Luckily, many have done these "pipes and pods" type mods so there's a pretty good baseline for re-jetting for them.

Well, I'm sure the mufflers you choose are going to be small, loud (because they're small), and freer flowing than stock. I'm pretty sure those Yo Moma headpipes are a larger diameter than stock as well. They'll flow more, at least at high RPMs. Supposedly, they don't flow as well at lower RPMs. It's said you actually lose some power down there. But you can add inserts at the head to compensate for this. This motor likes a smaller diameter pipe, at least for the first few inches coming out of the head. The inserts fool it into thinking it has one .....

X6lOanj.jpg

Well, I'm sure the mufflers you choose are going to be small, loud (because they're small), and freer flowing than stock. I'm pretty sure those Yo Moma headpipes are a larger diameter than stock as well. They'll flow more, at least at high RPMs. Supposedly, they don't flow as well at lower RPMs. It's said you actually lose some power down there. But you can add inserts at the head to compensate for this. This motor likes a smaller diameter pipe, at least for the first few inches coming out of the head. The inserts fool it into thinking it has one .....

X6lOanj.jpg
I think those are about $40 for a pair at yamahaXS650.com They appear to be first quality to my eye.

X6lOanj.jpg
I know the yo mama pipes are 1.5" dia. I don't want loud obnoxious pipes. I'm going for aesthetics more than performance. Just want a reliable bike that can cruise at 60-80 at mid throttle.

I googled the 8 cell Antigravity. Nice! BUT for smooth riding and a suspension. Go for it. If you don’t have the prolife charger, probably get one. Plan on foam around that battery. ( defeats the compact purpose I know) even put rubber flaps over the terminals. Everybody knows once these short, total smoke show that doesn’t stop. Haha. Notice when you unpack the battery, all the foam. I’d consider AGM or SLA. SLA for a kickstart only situation. AGM would make more since for that high amp draw electric start. Time you foam around that lithium, you’re to the AGM size.

With you on that one JRay. AG batteries are compact, small and light compared to Lead Acid. However they have other compromises; susceptible to overcharging if the Reg/Rec is not compatible. Plus they need a compatible battery keeper to hold condition; regular conditioners don’t work well with them.

If the filters will be covered (if the red is too much) by side covers I like the UNI filters with the red pre filters. For a few bucks more I think it has some advantages.
BsA4RKJ.jpg

1GjnNlo.jpg

I think those are about $40 for a pair at yamahaXS650.com They appear to be first quality to my eye.

I got a set for my open high pipes and they are very nice quality. Havnt finished the bike so I can’t speak to performance but other have good reports on that. I can just say the quality is there.

Just want a reliable bike that can cruise at 60-80 at mid throttle.
Hope you're also planning on a smaller rear sprocket, and or 18T front sprocket. 80 at mid throttle is not going to happen with stock final drive ratio. Stock is 17T/34T I run 17T/32T Makes a huge difference but not 80 at "mid throttle".

@2BallCane I just replaced the battery in my Buzzy with this one from AutoZone:
255845644_383357566903098_193963755628141160_n.png

The lowest temperature here so far has been 30*F this fall and it started the bike. Buzzy has other carburetor issues but the battery is good thus far.

My experience with Lithium batteries in my bikes is all negative. I had the 710 LCA battery for my Rocket III and the battery was crap below 40*F (just like it says on the label). So in other words, useless for year round riders. And if my memory serves me, Maine can get quite chilly in winter.

Back