'79 XS650 caliper piston, brake lines, engine numbers and other ramblings...

Of course, this could simply be a situation where the person that swapped out the 4M4 engine also replaced the TCI with the points plate. Odd.
Yeah, if the 4M4 motor was swapped into the '79 bike - to retain the '81 TCI - they would had to have switched a bunch of wiring, the stator and installed the TCI box and coils: easier to keep the '79 electrics and put the points in

If the pics in post #11 are your bike then what you have is a 1979 Standard model, last year for the Standards and somewhat rare.

It is and I had heard that about the last standard model and I lost a bit of wind in the sails when I discovered the engine swap... It is a wicked good runner, so I still dig it. 🙃

Yeah, if the 4M4 motor was swapped into the '79 bike - to retain the '81 TCI - they would had to have switched a bunch of wiring, the stator and installed the TCI box and coils: easier to keep the '79 electrics and put the points in

Yup, makes perfect sense.
Thanks

Hey,
Got the goods, mounted the master, installed the new stainless piston in the caliper, ran the new stainless braided line, which is too long.

Not certain whether I will even use the line holder that is mounted on the fork, the angle is much too severe. I can maybe relocate it up on the lower triple, we'll see.

Rolled the XS off the lift to check on any strain on the line when moving the bars left to right, no issues.
I'll bleed it up and hope we're good.

So how do I get this little bugger apart without breaking it...? Front brake light switch.

Thanks,
Rob

dko7gp.jpg

Hey,
Got the goods, mounted the master, installed the new stainless piston in the caliper, ran the new stainless braided line, which is too long.

Not certain whether I will even use the line holder that is mounted on the fork, the angle is much too severe. I can maybe relocate it up on the lower triple, we'll see.

Rolled the XS off the lift to check on any strain on the line when moving the bars left to right, no issues.
I'll bleed it up and hope we're good.

So how do I get this little bugger apart without breaking it...? Front brake light switch.

Thanks,
Rob

dko7gp.jpg
You don't need to take it apart?

You don't need to take it apart?

Well the new master cylinder has a way different switch than the stock. I went with the xt225, tw200 master cylinder that was suggested. Nice master and the caliper bled up easily.

iGbJEi.jpg

I suppose I can just splice the existing wires onto the new switch.
Rob

Last edited:
Follow the wire from the old switch down into the headlight and you'll find you can just unplug it. Then you can make up a new little harness with the type of connectors you need on it.

You don't need any sort of line guide down on the forks, the stainless line is stiff enough to do without it .....

NewWheelMounted.jpg

You can add one to the lower triple tree where the original line splitter was mounted. I made this one from some stainless strap .....

Brake Line Guide.jpg

Back