79F minimal wiring loom

Hi Leslie, when you say a minimal wiring loom, do you mean one to buy or you are going to re-wire the bike yourself with minimal wiring. I don't know of anybody selling simplified loom, but if you are looking for wiring diagrams, there are some here:

https://www.xs650.com/posts/246/bookmark

I based the wiring for my 79 SE on one of those, but modified for Boyer Bransden ignition, and then modified again for the later alternator in a 1981 (?) engine I shoved in. Can post my wiring diagram if interested.

Lads, sorry I didn't make myself clear, a simplified loom mine has the Boyer Bransden set up, the existing loom is a bit messy I would like to tidy it up prior to putting her back together

IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0865.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg

I would like to tidy it up prior to putting her back together
Yes sir, IMO the best solution is to custom make your own complete loom for the entire machine that includes the components that have been changed from stock. It does take a bit of doing and an inordinate amount of specialty supplies, but I can provide sources for OEM quality (and compatible) terminals (etc) if so inclined
20230128_143148 (3).jpg

20230128_171756 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Yes sir, IMO the best solution is to custom make your own complete loom for the entire machine that includes the components that have been changed from stock. It does take a bit of doing and an inordinate amount of specialty supplies, but I can provide sources for OEM quality (and compatible) terminals (etc) if so inclined
View attachment 234846
View attachment 234845
JP thank you for that, I have sourced a schematic and hopefully manufacture one as nice as yours

Leslie, that's the route I've gone down with three bikes now, all with old and hacked-about wiring. Pulled it all out, noted what connects to what, simplified by removing the things you don't need eg clutch relays, side-stand relays, signal cancel, etcetera, and rewired. There are probably loads of suppliers but I have used https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/ They stock Japanese bullet connectors which I have used on my XS. On my Royal Enfield, also used their multi-connectors.

Simply bought connectors, a selection of coloured tracer wires kind of matching the original colours, plus harness tape, heat shrink & so on and went for it. Now have simplified wiring but more importantly to me I wired it so I know how it all connects together.

This is my wiring diagram:

Wiring Diagram.JPG

Cheers, Raymond

If you google it, you'll be swamped with wiring looms for every conceivable ignition system, simplified and not. The internet is alive with them. The best plan though is to design your own, only using the items you want on your bike. Best of all though, if you design and build it yourself, it makes fault finding a breeze!

Raymond, the attached came with the bike, i can reasonably assume that it was wired to the attached pdf specification

Attachments

• simplified wiring that came with the bike.pdf
    558.7 KB · Views: 56
Sorry, Leslie, cannot open the PDF.

CORRECTION - I can see the file. Just gonna have a look . . .

. . . and from a quick look, seems to make sense. It's a bit more simplified than on my XS - shouldn't be a big headache to check, tidy or replace. Looks like the safety relay that disables the starter motor if the engine is running has been removed?

But I expect somebody who Knows Stuff will be along and take a shufty later.

Raymond, the attached came with the bike, i can reasonably assume that it was wired to the attached pdf specification
You can determine if the PDF diagram loom is on your bike. Trace the wires and follow the diagram. Do a continuity test on your loom using the diagram as a guide.

Your schematic (good) appears to indicate the replacement of points ignition with an e-advance BoyerBransden and also a modern regulator/rectifier combo, along with several wire color changes. So, you'd be doing a custom rewire of a custom rewire.

On the regulator/rectifier combo: it can be a Type A or Type B and requires examination of your stator and brushes to determine which and how the loom needs to be wired.

As Skull suggests, a continuity tracing of the wires to verify the schematic is in order; I would not assume......

All very doable

Back