'80 Special wiring question

650mark

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
All stock 1980 Special. The positive battery cable from the battery to the starter solenoid has a smaller red wire with a bullet type connector attached to the solenoid end. What is that small red wire for? will the bike function normally without it? thanks in advance

The should be a matching bullet connector red wire on the main harness nearby that wire, connection feeds the entire electrical system, it goes directly to the main fuse.

Yep, you really need that one, lol.

050OLGl.jpg

Last edited:
Hey im havein a wirein problem I've got a 79 XS650 2f serial or VIN number but anyway it's still got the points in it the only thing I've done is run a Daddy g-rich Cycles chopper style wiring harness kick only with a TC Brothers points ignition kick only for the charging system with stock coils points and everything else I've got no kill switch just the key switch to turn everything on and off but I just went and put a 706 CC cruiser image kid in it rejected my 34 mil ometer carburetors for airpods and for the bigger cc's but when I got went to set my points and my timing I'm getting constant power to my points for the life of me I cannot figure out why like I'm getting power to both points all the time constant no matter what I do at my key switch whether I turn my key on or off or only thing I can get power to not go to my points and to not run constant is if I disconnect the battery I can't find a burnt wire singed wire nothing ever but everything that everyone has told me to try to test with it whether it be for continuity or for owners reading or anything I mean I don't know what else to test like I'm about to set this down thing on fire and roll it over the hill and be done with it and it's all it's a brand new bike I don't know what the issue is whatsoever that I cannot for like me figure it out

Back