what about belt drive?

inxs

xx
Reaction score
...i have tried this conversion and although it worked well next project i went back to chain and installed a gs750 cush drive rear wheel...requires a new swing arm for the width-a GPZ750 kawasaki or a yamaha radian or fitted hardtail...
for details contact...Dave Raynor... dave650@bigpond.net.au
http://www.xs650.org.au/xsories/belt drives.htm ...

P1000425.jpg

front pulley

rear_sprocket.jpg

rear pulley

PolyChainGTCarbonBlue3.gif

belts

76.jpg

Dave Raynor's

P1000639.jpg

Terry's

Crash, which set up did you use? Where did you get it?

inxs, why did you go back to chain drive for your next project? Just didn't see the benefits of the belt to justify the cost of the conversion?

- actually i liked the set-up, there are advantages, the uncushioned rear wheel is sleek but in my mind is a bad design fault - i have to say it has a very nice form - the lack of cushioning means increased shock loading on the gearbox and clutch...you can see this manifested in the list of common problems...
..(1)broken primary drive/clutch basket shock absorption springs (replace with flat profile heavier springs in the shorter primary slots alternating with vesconite (nylon-like) buffer blocks in the longer secondary slots)...
..(2)problem (1) can help lead to the typical corrugated wearing of the clutch basket fingers (you can lightly file these flat-too heavy handed and you worsen the clunking as you change gear,..also it pays to slightly bevel the friction plate tab edges-helps stop them catching in the rilling or making it worse)...
..(3)broken dogs off gear cogs (requires stripping the motor to fix)

- my problem was with sourcing parts here-gates was unresponsive and the first pulleys i sourced separately through american ebay...because you are restricted to preset belt lengths you either have to make a swing arm yourself or get lucky...radian swingarms are unobtainable here and i was having a problem finding anything else worth modifying...this would be much easier to do while setting up hardtail geometry

...if i remember correctly the pulleys i used were
Gates Polychain GT Sprocket-Pulley
front...8M-40S-21SH
rear....8M-80S-21SH
belt....Gates Polychain GT Carbon ?164V13?

I thought you could get belts and pulleys any size,when I was in the uk last time I called into a friends engineering shop,who makes equipment for all sorts of things,and noticed his pulleys,he was going to order me up two pulleys and a belt to hang a hunt magneto off the cam,it would foul the spark plug if mounted direct to the cam.I would assume the same would go for one big enough as a drive belt,don't know for sure if he ever got them as I haven't been back to the uk for a while if he did they are probably very dusty,I don't know I am just assuming.

The front pulley without the bush is 45$ on eBay, the rear one seem to run a bit more expensive.

I am continuing work on this project, so lets see how far it goes :)

inxs:

How was the pulley fastened to the axle? By the taperlock itself or a special nut?

- actually i liked the set-up, there are advantages, the uncushioned rear wheel is sleek but in my mind is a bad design fault - i have to say it has a very nice form - the lack of cushioning means increased shock loading on the gearbox and clutch...you can see this manifested in the list of common problems...
..(1)broken primary drive/clutch basket shock absorption springs (replace with flat profile heavier springs in the shorter primary slots alternating with vesconite (nylon-like) buffer blocks in the longer secondary slots)...
..(2)problem (1) can help lead to the typical corrugated wearing of the clutch basket fingers (you can lightly file these flat-too heavy handed and you worsen the clunking as you change gear,..also it pays to slightly bevel the friction plate tab edges-helps stop them catching in the rilling or making it worse)...
..(3)broken dogs off gear cogs (requires stripping the motor to fix)

- my problem was with sourcing parts here-gates was unresponsive and the first pulleys i sourced separately through american ebay...because you are restricted to preset belt lengths you either have to make a swing arm yourself or get lucky...radian swingarms are unobtainable here and i was having a problem finding anything else worth modifying...this would be much easier to do while setting up hardtail geometry

...if i remember correctly the pulleys i used were
Gates Polychain GT Sprocket-Pulley
front...8M-40S-21SH
rear....8M-80S-21SH
belt....Gates Polychain GT Carbon ?164V13?
I know this thread is really old but I have been scouring the internet for this kind of information. I am currently in the parts gathering stage of doing my XS650 bobber conversion. I REALLY want to do a belt drive. I already bought the 2 sprockets you had listed. I can't find that belt anywhere. I contacted Gates and they said that is not one of their part numbers. Do you happen to remember/have the part number for the belt?

Thanks you for the sources 650skull and twomanyxs1bs, it definitley gives me some direction .

I now have 32,000 miles on the belt drive and the only thing I have changed is the rear sprocket. Originally I had 40/80 gearing on the final drive (same as stock) and a Mikes overdrive 5th gear. The gear failed so I went to a stock transmission and 40/75 gearing, had to make a couple minor mods to the swingarm to pull the wheel back a bit further but was not difficult.

Would never want to back to chain drive. The belt is among the best mods I have done to the bike.

I now have 32,000 miles on the belt drive and the only thing I have changed is the rear sprocket. Originally I had 40/80 gearing on the final drive (same as stock) and a Mikes overdrive 5th gear. The gear failed so I went to a stock transmission and 40/75 gearing, had to make a couple minor mods to the swingarm to pull the wheel back a bit further but was not difficult.

Would never want to back to chain drive. The belt is among the best mods I have done to the bike.
Do you happen to have/remember the belt part number that you are using? I have 8m-40s-21 and 8m-80s-21 sprockets from gates. I can figure out the pitch but I am coming up blank on the length.

A few things I did that I didn't mention, I set the front sprocket so the inner flange just clears the case. I did this for a couple reasons, first for alignment using a 30mm belt, second to minimize the loading on the countershaft bearings.

To clear the clutch pushrod the front sprocket flanges were cut down. I also had to remove some material from the case for clearance, I think on the webbing where the rear cover screw threads in. No big deal, just thought you should know.

Back