81 ignition timing

yamamunn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok I have an 81 I picked up non runner. I had no spark after reading on here I read about the magnet replacement. Still nothing then I read here some one who repairs the TCI box, sent it out to him and the bike fired right up. But was running hot. so I checked the timing and its advanced. Ok little more reading and saw that the pickup coil could be moved to compensate. This one is riveted on. Can I just drill it out and slot it to move it? If so how should I remount it? Looks to be threaded I think. Today I was looking for some thing on this and read about a ghost signal from the super magnet ( sorry forgot the name of it ) just needing some ones wisdom on this. Thanks

Yes, you can just drill the fasteners out. Early ones had tamper-proof screws and maybe that's what you're seeing. They sort of resemble a rivet head because there's not much of a screwdriver slot in the head. Yes, the holes should be threaded. Slot the top hole to the right so you can shift the pick-up to the left. This will retard the timing .....

DqKHmiQ.jpg

9CavZnp.jpg

But, you should probably verify that the little timing plate is mounted in the correct spot. It's mounting hole is slotted so it can be moved. You'll need to accurately locate TDC somehow and then make sure the rotor mark is aligned with the TDC (T) mark on the plate. This has to be right for the other timing mark to read right.

zqzmpBb.jpg

But, you should probably verify that the little timing plate is mounted in the correct spot. It's mounting hole is slotted so it can be moved. You'll need to accurately locate TDC somehow and then make sure the rotor mark is aligned with the TDC (T) mark on the plate. This has to be right for the other timing mark to read right.

zqzmpBb.jpg
Yes I’m aware of this I do have a TDC tool from Yamaha

Back