81 Special Newb Project

I want to do that, but going that route will prevent me from riding for at least another week or 2 while I wait for parts. I suppose I have a decision to make...What size MC does a Brembo need?
I use the 4 piston Brembo caliper on my front wheel. I tried using the stock 14 mm master cylinder, but it was much too powerful. I now use a 12 mm Brembo master cylinder, and it works very well. I think you could also use a 11 mm master cylinder.

My old supermoto had wire wheels, if you Google you can definitely find instructions on how to set them up for tubeless tires, if that's something you really want. I did it, as did my riding buddy, and never had a problem with them leaking.

Alright! After a VERY hectic 2 weeks I've started ordering the things I need to get on the road:

I've decided to keep the stock MC so I can go with a single Brembo up front.
I've contacted 650 central about getting the appropriate length stainless brake line
Pandemonium currently lists their Brembo kit as out of stock, so I've contacted them about when they expect it to be back in stock. I'm wishing I still worked for a waterjet company right about now. I'd just make it myself. Oh well.
Found a pair of front Brembo calipers on ebay
Found a TX750 swingarm and chain guard on ebay
Going to start with a drag bar, and maybe do clubmans later.
New handlebar grips ordered from Tuffside, in case I decide to go with one of their seats. It would be nice to have everything match.

PHEW! Now, with all that said, what lifts/stands do you all like?

Slight change! Keeping the stock MC for the moment and switching to an 11mm later on (once I work up the nerve to put the Brembo caliper on).
Ordered a clubman bar from Dime City instead of a drag bar.
Everything else is going to be pouring in over the next week while I have family in town. Then I'm traveling the following 2 weekends. By then, I'll probably make a decision about a seat and start looking at shocks. Barring any surprises (who am I kidding haha), this bike will begin taking shape by the end of September

There are no 18" mag rears that swap right in, at least not that anybody has found or mentioned yet.

The desirable alloy spoked flanged wheels have turned to gold, as you probably noticed looking on eBay. You might do better finding some locally. My buddy scored a pair last year from a local cycle salvage place for about $50 - for the pair. I was amazed the guy sold them so cheap, I thought he meant for one wheel. I don't like spending more than $20 to $30 on a wheel because new (stainless) spokes are going to add about another $80 to that - and they all need new spokes, lol.
Desirable alloy spoked wheels?
Please elaborate.

So I said screw it and picked up a Raptor 660 12.7mm master cylinder to go with my Brembos. I've got all my parts stacked up and will probably have them all on around mid-September. Just in time for the season to end!

Pandemonium Brembo kits are finally back in stock, and you better believe I ordered one. With any luck, next weekend I can finally get everything together and actually ride!

Back