81 xs650 bad sound when kick starting

Not sure I hear anything specific. Is your timing correct? Have you taken your valve covers off? Making sure they are functioning and you don't have a valve sticking?

Not sure I hear anything specific. Is your timing correct? Have you taken your valve covers off? Making sure they are functioning and you don't have a valve sticking?

Working on that tomorrow but it sounds like the bottom end somewhere an nothing down there was changed

I can’t hear anything unusual. Maybe someone else with better ears?

It's a sound u gotta be here to hear I suppose ,so I guess no ridding this yr I'll wait till winter to tear it all back apart .thanks for everyone who is trying to help tho I appreciate it alot 😪

I hear a definite clunk at the bottom of the kick stroke in the first vid and it's still there (but quieter) in the last one.
I'm more amazed at anyone kicking over one of these in their socks.
OP, was that last vid with the plugs out?

I hear a definite clunk at the bottom of the kick stroke in the first vid and it's still there (but quieter) in the last one.
I'm more amazed at anyone kicking over one of these in their socks.
OP, was that last vid with the plugs out?

Plugs do not make a difference when removing them (atleast someone hears the clunk sound) but ya any ideas on that, an I had a boot on the right foot but I have started it in my socks befor the rebuild

Could it be that the clutch is adjusted to tight (havnt gotten to looking at it yet)but could that cause that sound
Yes, If you over adjust the clutch it could push it out towards the primary cover.

Back