82 Rectifier on a 78 Points system?

Greenbush

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, can a rectifier from a 82 be used on a 79 2F points system? Rectifier on the bike I'm working has crapped out. I'm ordering a solid state combo unit but wanted to continue my fine tuning of the PWK carbs while I wait for the new unit to arrive, via mail over the weekend, being no one local has them.
A friend has his 82 stripped down and is willing to lend me his until new unit arrives.
Can it be used on the 79 2F?
Thanks

My suspicion in no.

The 70-79 bikes the rectifier works the same as the rec part of the combo reg/rec of the 80 up bikes. Now the regulator part works differently. The early the reg powers the rotor, the later the reg grounds the rotor. To use the later combo reg/rec you will need to rewire the brushes so the ground brush is not grounded and power is applied to it.
Not a hard task but nessary.
Leo

So, is it possible to just plug in the Rectifier part of the '82 unit for temporary tuning? At least until my purchase arrives?

Yes, as long as your regulator works ok, then it should work. It may take some adapter wires to plug it in, or remove the plug from your donor so the needed wires can plug into your harness.
Leo

So, is it possible to just plug in the Rectifier part of the '82 unit for temporary tuning? At least until my purchase arrives?

As Leo mentioned, you could use the rectifier part of the 82 combo unit on your 79. However the connectors are not going to match up, so you will have a mess of single wires, that could easily get tangled..............possible to short out and damage a working component. I doubt that your buddy wants you to cut off his combo unit connector, to make a matching connector for your bike.

If you really must run the engine for tuning, you could just run on the battery by itself. Start with a fully charged battery. Have your bad rectifier disconnected. Unplug the regulator so no currrent flows to the alternator rotor. Unplug the headlight. Kick start the engine so that you don't pull down the battery voltage with the starter motor.

Fine tuning PWK carbs.............you might be a long time doing that. Have you read the threads on those carbs? Post after post of problems with those carbs.

Received the ElectroSport Rectifier/Regulator combo and the guys at Ballistic batteries replaced their 8 cell battery that failed for free. All plugged in. Bike runs ok. Now it's
about tuning the PWKs. Found out that the two slides in the carb set were different in a couple ways. Waiting for them to ship two new matched up replacements slides. Then I can know what I'm dealing with.
I get a hiccup under acceleration, off and on. But the power is there. Also have clutch plates slipping under higher RPMs. I think the previous owner put car oil in. I have new springs and all the clutch plates measure well into tolerance levels, actually all pretty near stock measurements. Hoping with flushing and new motorcycle oil they'll clean up.

:banghead:

Back