82 XS650 Cafe Racer Build

This one from Revival looks good...and spendy!
Yeah it is a bit spendy. I bought a whole bunch of Revival kit for my build; all of it was first class quality.
I didn't but the headlight as my bucket (which I like) takes a bigger lamp unit; otherwise I would have.
Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 10.57.24.png

Hey all! I figured I'd start a thread on my Café Build since I've been posting questions constantly on here.
If anyone wants to see the build journey here it is. I am trying to find a picture of the bike when I got it years ago.

It's a 1982 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special.
I bought it from my Father in law for $500 a few years back with 13000 miles as my first bike.
I moved after buying my first house and unfortunately the bike was a bit neglected under a tarp in the backyard for a couple of years so while I was building the shop out back I figured it would be my first project in there.
I tore the top end down and replaced seals, piston rings, cam chain, and tensioners, and honed the bores.
I replaced all 4 valves and had the valve seats machined at a local shop.
View attachment 236183View attachment 236184View attachment 236186

I have a lot of electrical work to do and I need to figure out how to get a big dent out of the tank.
I love the bars. What are they?

Hey all, been a bit.
The project has been going well. I've just been riding it a bunch and working out the kinks.
If ya'll are interested here are some updated pictures.
The tank is NOT done. I am waiting on a painter friend to have an opening so he can get the tank done properly.

She runs great as of now.
I'm brainstorming options on how to get the exhaust a bit louder but not obnoxious.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 2121.jpg
    2121.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 90
Any exhaust change will necessitate changes in jetting. It is fairly simple to do and I believe the carbs can stay on the bike. BS38s do anyway. You have BS34s. A simple mod is to put a drill bit on an extension and drill a hole in the baffle end plate. That is something you can't undo.

Any exhaust change will necessitate changes in jetting. It is fairly simple to do and I believe the carbs can stay on the bike. BS38s do anyway. You have BS34s. A simple mod is to put a drill bit on an extension and drill a hole in the baffle end plate. That is something you can't undo.
Bit scary drilling into carbs lol. I do have a lot of extra parts for them so I might look into it!

I have an admission to make. I had an XJ/RJ 650 that I did this very thing. I shimmed the needles and ran another 20k mi with slightly tanned plugs.
YRMV.

Yes, when you mod these, you do have to re-jet, but not by much. For the typical "pipes and pods" mod, you normally increase the pilots by 1 or 2 sizes and the mains by 1 to 3. In your case with the BS34s, one up on the pilots and two up on the mains is usually good. There's also an air jet in the bell mouth you can change. It feeds the pilot circuit and can be used to fine tune it. Reducing it one size will make that circuit a touch richer if you need it, not as rich as another size up on the pilot jet would.

Back