82 Xs650 Special Float height? Info :)

Felix Das Brat

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I have an 82 xs650 special. Everything is stock.

I've looked it up and I'm getting confused if I should set my floats to
27.3mm +/r- .5mm
Or
22mm +/- 1mm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 241
Those look like tin top BS34's to me.....

No LH petcock, so I'm pretty sure you have brass float BS34's

Is it a 79 or built in 79?

650carbspecsreducedsizeey7.png

That would put you at 27mm for a G model. Hot water dip test those floats, bubbles = fail. Bs34s always need new o-rings on the float valve bodies, replace them. If you don't check these two items you'll probably just be chasing your tail setting float height.

I discovered its a 78 - 79 2fo. And there is only one float setting for that modle.

When I thought it was an 82, I was confusing because there are two different float heights.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 448
There still may be some confusion.
Tell me are the carb tops chrome or aluminum?

If you read down that chart some more you will find a 2F0 that is a 1980 model.

If you are setting the float heights, look at the float valve; on a BS 38 the valve body has a 10mm hex and it's threaded into the carb. On the BS34's there is a small bracket and screw that holds the float body to the carb.

As a general rule of thumb, look for a float level where the float arm is parallel with the carb body gasket surface.

Check float level by holding the carb sideways slowly tilting until the float arm just touches the inlet needle. Don't compress the needle at all.

Then take a measurement.

Try to get a reading and then compare to the chart to see which one fits.

You only have 25 24 27 22 mm approximately, so it's got to be close to one of these.

These bikes are all old of course and anywhere along it's journey someone could have swapped out parts from one model or year to another.

We all love pictures.

On that chart the 78-79 column is the build year. As in Aug of 78 to July of 79 is the build year for the 80 model year. They start building the bikes in August of one year and stop in July of the next year.
So If your bike has a build date of 78-79 and is a 2FO that makes it an F or SF. As shown in the left side column. The F was the letter for the 80 models.
In your pic it clearly shows the chrome tin top BS34 carbs. That indicates an 80 model also. Just as gggGary said.
If you look at the chart gggGary posted you will see that the BS34's do have two float level specs, it also tells you that the carbs come 80 brass floats or 81 up plastic floats. The brass get the first float level spec of 27 mm's, the plastic of the later floats get the 22 mm spec.
So if you have the brass floats use the 27 mm spec.
Leo

Ok fellas. This horse is ready to drink some water. Haha.

Pulled the cabs and took some pix.

Please help me identify these Carbs. I'm looking to get the floats set proper.

The vin # on my frame is: 2F0-205695

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 286
You have 1980 BS34s there (most likely because the bike is a 1980), with the brass floats which would be set to about 27mm. Honestly though, those carbs need a bit more than just a float adjustment, lol.

The carbs are just a bit dirty. Everything moves smooth and easy. Diaphragms are in great condition aswell.

Slides slide smooth. Clean.

Thanx for the heads up. I'll be sure and set them tomorrow. :)

What 5twins says, hot water dip test the floats, the one with a crushed float must be replaced. if any float has creases or evidence of crushing it must be replaced. Be SURE you replace the o-rings on the float valve bodys. It would be best if you swapped in foam floats from an 82-83 carb set or about a million other bike's BS34 carb set. use the foam float height setting if you do that.

Back