83- 84 Harness to 8 (7) Pin TCI

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
20220704_111342.jpg

I am wiring up a 83 swap meet motor that came with an 8 pin TCI. I have everything plugged in, but no spark. I am aware that the clutch safety switch will only affect whether the starter turns over, so am left with the side stand switch as the next possible source of no spark. Bike has the side stand relay deleted by PO, but these two black items ( each has 4 spade shape pins) and the 2 wire connector baffle me. What are they and do they have anything to do with the side stand safety switch. They are the last item on the back of the harness before the tail light/indicator sockets.

There's two Black/White wires going into the TCI box connector. One's from the TCI trigger coil on the stator and the other goes to one of those relays. Disconnect the B/W at the TCI connector... the one to the relay and that will isolate/eliminate the ground inhibit signal from the sidestand relay. That should get you spark... or at least eliminate the sidestand as the culprit. There's a way to eliminate that relay, but I'm not sure how that's done. Disconnecting the B/W wire at the TCI connector will do the same thing.

Correction Angus.....
One is Black/White. The other is White/Black.
It's the White/Black you want to disconnect.
I just dyke it off at the TCI box itself. No chance of a sidestand problem after that. That box was test ran on my SG and works just fine.

1656956624134.png

All tucked in.... converted to a 6 pin connector, and no one's the wiser. ;)

1656957246847.png

You say the sidestand relay was removed by the P.O. but I don't think so. That looks like it in your pic on the lower right. The 2 wire plug is from the sidestand switch. The other relay looks like the clutch lever switch/starter safety relay. It's simple to eliminate the sidestand relay, you just unplug and remove it, no jumper wires needed. You'll want to remove (or at least disconnect) the sidestand switch as well. No sense it being connected or even there since the relay it acts upon is removed.

83Relays.jpg

For the clutch switch relay, you must provide a jumper wire or the starter won't work. Power to the solenoid on the R/W wire passes through the relay. Once you remove it you must re-establish that connection.

83Relays2.jpg

83Relays3.jpg

Thanks. I will get both these items dealt with.
Happy Independance Day from the attic!

Back