83' XS650 suddenly excessive vibration 1-3 gears

armstrong310

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I went for a 100mi ride a month ago, I noticed the bike was starting to vibrate a bit. By the time I was 30mi from home my body started to ache from it. I had to pull over to stretch my ass out. Didn't ride it until today, just to work. In gears 1-3 it sounds like someones shaking sheet metal. I would try to get to a high gear because it sounded like it was about to fall apart.

Any ideas what could have come loose or has an issue? :banghead:

Here's some info on my bike:
http://www.chopcult.com/XStar/albums/1254

Last winter the frame has been stripped, cleaned up, powder coated, engine has been completely rebuilt and powder coated satin krinkle finish.
Mikes XS Tall fifth gear
Ported head
Stock electronic ignition...no points to deal with!!!
Valves just recut with 5 angle valve job.
31 tooth rear sprocket and new front stock sprocket
530 DID X-Ring chain (new with sprockets)
Road Star front end coverted to tapered roller bearings.
Solo seat (not the seat in the pictures)
Drag bars
Custom made heat wrapped exhaust
3.1 Gallon King Sporty tank
LED Roadstar tail light with working brake light.
All new cables
Starter removed and kick start only...starts the first or second kick every time and has zero kickback.

I would sure check the drive sprocket nut and slowly turn the rear wheel watching for chain kinks. Could be lots of other things, broken drive cushion spring(s)........... Various bearings going south.

Did you build the bike? Was it not vibrating the other times you rode it?
Mine started shaking like a coked up rattle snake. I found out I had thrown a wheel weight.

On my ride home yesterday I swore the thing was going to rattle apart. When I got home I checked the oil again, and it was really low. Refilled that. I'm going to check everything you guys suggested and we'll see what works. It's now on the disabled list until it gets fixed. Thanks for the suggestions.

I just was looking at the pics. With the Sporty tank are you using the top engine mount? I can't really see it in the pics.
If not then thats probably most of your vibration. The stock frame uses the engine as a stressed member.
Without the top mount the top of the engine is just flapping in the breeze. This puts extra strain on the front and rear mounts. Often breaking the case around the bolt hole.
Leo

Just an update. Took the bike to the shop in hopes of getting this vibration fixed. He did find a missing top mount bolt and replaced it. However, that didn't do too much. I'll go through and check what ggggary suggested (drive sprocket nut, broken drive cushion spring(s), Various bearings going south).

The guy at the shop gave me the choice of stopping at "I don't know" or exploring further (expensive). He was going to see if "a counter weight fell off and was sitting in the oil pan" or "the camshaft was misaligned". I never like just burning money on mechanics that aren't familiar with that model of bike.

^He's giving you the choice of being robbed or not, before he robs you. I've seen this phenomenon many times :) Maybe if he was a good mechanic familiar with old bikes.

Since one mounting bolt was missing, and somebody else discovered that, go around each mounting bolt and make sure it's tight. Somewhere here I've seen a pattern for tightening them down, if you want to go that far.

That mechanic doesn't know much about the XS650. There are no "counter weights to fall off".
If the cam was off more than one tooth it wouldn't run very well. It wouldn't really effect vibes much.
A lost wheel weight as littlebill sugested. Partially plugged carbs, running stronger on one side than the other.
Try doing a basic tune up. in this order.
Adjust the cam chain tension.
Adjust the valves.
If points, set gap and timing. If elecritronic ignition, timing.
Then clean the carbs.
A well tuned engine vibrates very little.
Check the tires, are they old or not balanced?
Wheels true?
Leo

Never hurts to check the chain. get up on the center stand or lift make sure the chain has some slack, tranny in neutral rotate the rear wheel, the chain should hang in a smooth arc sprocket to sprocket. if there are any kinks or much tightening/loosening as it goes around find the problem and fix it.

OK I reread the OP and this comment makes no sense!

Awesome suggestions. I'll wait for this tornado to pass and get on it this weekend. Thanks guys. I asked him "what would you do if this was your bike?" he replied, "I'd sell it and make it someone else's problem". What a guy!

Back