Sold / Found / Inactive - 880cc Yamaha XS2/B

howardsmed

Ragged trousered Philanthropist
Reaction score
SOLD, SOLD, SOLD

I built this for me over a long period of time, it is an 880cc big bore using Wiseco 87mm pistons , it is also 277 degree rephased XS650. In the time in ran Smedspeed, i had a few 880s to build, so to make sure the process was good, i built one for me too. An enormous amount of NOS parts, ( tank, headlight shell and brackets, clocks, switchgear, )
The engine is almost new ( apart from the main forgings and castings) all new main, big ends, valves, guides, springs, pistons, gearbox bearings, cam chain etc, etc. i have a detailed excel spreadsheet with exactly what's in the engine along with internal photos.
I have a video of Rick Forte and I running the bike last year, it is tight, and hard to kickstart, BUT will loosen up with running, the engine has Smedspeed 2.5 cam, but also includes a 3.5 cam which will move the power and torque up the rev range, BUT more importantly, will lower the kicking compression pressure
I have too many bikes, and this deserves to go to a good home. The XS2/B is quite rare, Tony Hall told me many years ago that they probably not officially imported, but came in through dealers from either Holland or France, Yamaha UK can neither confirm or deny.

if you are interested send me an email i need £5500 for the bike, it needs few bits finishing, but is essentially 99% there, come with spares including side panels etc

Howard

Yamaha XS2/B 1973
I built this for me, around 6 years ago, although I have owned the bike for over ten years.
The engine is a 277 degree rephased 880cc, it has a whole pile of new parts ( with photos showing assembly) and include
Engine
Wiseco pistons 87mm forged ceramic coated
Westwood ductile iron cylinder liners
New 533 type con rods TKRJ
New main bearings Koyo (4)
dynamically balanced crankshaft, valve seats cut, ports matched
valves, springs, Kibble-white
Trojan bronze valve guides
refaced rocker arms, NOS tappet screws
Smedspeed type 2.5 billet steel cam, FAG cam bearings (4)
new Tsubaki cam chain and tensioners,
Yamaha XS750/650 gearbox parts, all shot peened, new gearbox bearings—genuine Yamaha
engine cases are all bead blasted.
Lengthened kick start lever.
The engine comes with a new Smedspeed 3.5 cam, for those that might want the power higher up the rev band
Mikuni TM34mm carburettors, K&N filters
Heiden hi flow oil pump
NOS clutch basket and drum

Chassis
new tyres, new tubes
Hagon rebound adjustable rear shocks
NOS genuine headstock bearings, swing arm bearings ( bronze)
Tsubaki "O ring chain" and sprockets
re-chromed fork tubes, new springs, seals, oil
NOS tank, badges, headlight shell and mounting brackets
strengthened swing arm
38mm stainless steel header pipes, nearly new “baseball bat “ mufflers
lots of small bits re-chromed,
NOS tacho and speedometer
NOS switchgear

I have a video of the bike running with Rick Forte and I , the bike needs a few bits to finish, it needs wiring BUT the loom is present, front brake line, and a few other parts, but nothing major
I will sell the engine separately, if needs be
the whole bike inc some spares ( side panels, battery box, wiring loom,) and a 3.5 cam ( new ) £5500

Last edited:
Here are the pics. Yamaha XS2 in the USA came in Red and white, in the UK, France, Italy and Japan, they came in Orange and black, The following year (1973) the TX650 was announced, it is metallic pale-ish blue, BUT in the UK this bike was called the XS2/B and had the Yamaha 350B type fuel tank in the characteristic Orange and black livery, i bought this tank for £125 fifteen years ago. It is brand new. Headlight shell came from Tony Halls stock after he died, the headlight brackets came from a small Yamaha dealer via another friend Peter Spicer. The pictures do NOT do it justice, it is much nicer in real life.

Wow! That’s a beauty! That is not at all what I expected to see, it looks like a ‘73 TX650. Just looking at some details, what is that black switch on the headlight shell for? And those long intake tracts and flat slide carburetors. Very nice!
Edit: I see you explained the appearance

All the UK and Europe bikes had a switch to turn the headlight off, whilst keeping the rest of the lights on, it stooped quite so much power being taken away from the starter motor, it is the same switch that early 350 Yamahas used, but is nowhere to be found in the UK parts fiche for the XS650 72 and 73 year

i searched for one for ages, and finally got one of a Scottish guy building a chopper, years later a friend in the XS650 club here in the UK had a box full he bought. He gave me a NOS front mudguard and other items for my XS1 too, what a nice man.

Yes you are dead right the XS2/B is just an Orange and black TX650, with some Europe only bits added. Oh yes the same colour was in Australia, i saw one in Adelaide in 1987 when i lived there.

The long inlet tracts are for two reasons, it is very hard on the 1970-1974 bikes to get the carbs positioned so that they don't foul the fuel taps, later tanks have the taps further forward, this was my solution five years ago, but in hindsight, i would make them 25mm shorter, and re-angle the inlet tracts ( as on the 880 race bike) it would be tight, but OK

Oh and from racing, the XS650 likes long inlets, i had a long chat with Jerry Heiden about his when i was at his shop once, we used very long inlets on the racer, and contrary to common belief it doesn't make the power down low, our race bike was between 73 and 75hp rear wheel at 8250rpm

Last edited:
All the UK and Europe bikes had a switch to turn the headlight off, whilst keeping the rest of the lights on, it stooped quite so much power being taken away from the starter motor, it is the same switch that early 360 Yamahas used, but is nowhere to be found in the parts fiche for the XS650 72 and 73 year
Actually it is in the 73 parts supplement for the Australian TX650.
I have that switch on mine.
IMG_5042.jpeg
IMG_5043.jpeg
(Very hard part to get these days)

I saw a 1973 XS650 in Adelaide when i worked there in 1987, it was Orange and black with the 350B/TX650 petrol tank. didn't notice the switch, but had other things on my mind i suppose

SOLD, SOLD, SOLD

I built this for me over a long period of time, it is an 880cc big bore using Wiseco 87mm pistons , it is also 277 degree rephased XS650. In the time in ran Smedspeed, i had a few 880s to build, so to make sure the process was good, i built one for me too. An enormous amount of NOS parts, ( tank, headlight shell and brackets, clocks, switchgear, )
The engine is almost new ( apart from the main forgings and castings) all new main, big ends, valves, guides, springs, pistons, gearbox bearings, cam chain etc, etc. i have a detailed excel spreadsheet with exactly what's in the engine along with internal photos.
I have a video of Rick Forte and I running the bike last year, it is tight, and hard to kickstart, BUT will loosen up with running, the engine has Smedspeed 2.5 cam, but also includes a 3.5 cam which will move the power and torque up the rev range, BUT more importantly, will lower the kicking compression pressure
I have too many bikes, and this deserves to go to a good home. The XS2/B is quite rare, Tony Hall told me many years ago that they probably not officially imported, but came in through dealers from either Holland or France, Yamaha UK can neither confirm or deny.

if you are interested send me an email i need £5500 for the bike, it needs few bits finishing, but is essentially 99% there, come with spares including side panels etc

Howard

Yamaha XS2/B 1973
I built this for me, around 6 years ago, although I have owned the bike for over ten years.
The engine is a 277 degree rephased 880cc, it has a whole pile of new parts ( with photos showing assembly) and include
Engine
Wiseco pistons 87mm forged ceramic coated
Westwood ductile iron cylinder liners
New 533 type con rods TKRJ
New main bearings Koyo (4)
dynamically balanced crankshaft, valve seats cut, ports matched
valves, springs, Kibble-white
Trojan bronze valve guides
refaced rocker arms, NOS tappet screws
Smedspeed type 2.5 billet steel cam, FAG cam bearings (4)
new Tsubaki cam chain and tensioners,
Yamaha XS750/650 gearbox parts, all shot peened, new gearbox bearings—genuine Yamaha
engine cases are all bead blasted.
Lengthened kick start lever.
The engine comes with a new Smedspeed 3.5 cam, for those that might want the power higher up the rev band
Mikuni TM34mm carburettors, K&N filters
Heiden hi flow oil pump
NOS clutch basket and drum

Chassis
new tyres, new tubes
Hagon rebound adjustable rear shocks
NOS genuine headstock bearings, swing arm bearings ( bronze)
Tsubaki "O ring chain" and sprockets
re-chromed fork tubes, new springs, seals, oil
NOS tank, badges, headlight shell and mounting brackets
strengthened swing arm
38mm stainless steel header pipes, nearly new “baseball bat “ mufflers
lots of small bits re-chromed,
NOS tacho and speedometer
NOS switchgear

I have a video of the bike running with Rick Forte and I , the bike needs a few bits to finish, it needs wiring BUT the loom is present, front brake line, and a few other parts, but nothing major
I will sell the engine separately, if needs be
the whole bike inc some spares ( side panels, battery box, wiring loom,) and a 3.5 cam ( new ) £5500
Need to change the headiing to sold.

Back