8 Pack Clutch Mod

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
I had seen a picture of this mod before, but I wanted to try it for myself...

Been working SLOWLY on my latest XS650 Build. Knowing that I was putting in some high compression JE pistons, rephasing, heavily porting the head and installing Lectron carbs, I knew for a fact that the stock clutch was not going to be happy. My Black and White bike is only 707CC's and 10:1 compression and I go through clutches fairly often. Plus I'm not too nice to it. This one is going to be even more powerful at nearly 760CC's and 11:1 compression.

I had seen a picture years ago of an 8 pack clutch setup. It was sweet. I knew I needed this. So I tore into my box o' parts, and started mixing and matching different clutch baskets until I had some good donors for machining.

Here is a picture of a stock 6 disk clutch pack.

100_6626.jpg

After some extremely careful measuring with my Patent Pending Eyecrometers, I started machining the parts to fit.

100_6639.jpg

100_6640.jpg

100_6641.jpg

The places you see Blue Marker are what I machined. I had to remove some material from several locations on the inner basket.

I also had to modify the outer basket quite a bit as well. I clearanced the inside of the outer basket as seen here to clear the newly modified inner basket.

100_6643.jpg

100_6649.jpg

I should have taken an in progress shot of the below modification, but the box in blue basically shows how much material was removed from the base of the "fingers" of the basket. I did all of this with a few modified hand files, and a dremel tool.

100_6647.jpg

I fitted up 8 new disks and metal clutch plates. I had to modify the outside of the basket plate just a tad to make sure the clearances inside the clutch cover remained stock, and removed some material from the inside to help clear a bit more as well...

100_6631.jpg

8 DISKS!! It fits great, only took a few hours, and should improve my ability to get the power to the ground.

100_6630.jpg

There were a few more modifications required to the nut, and basket, but if you are trying to get this done yourself, you can probably figure out the rest of it. As always, if you have questions, just ask...

Hugh

PS - Better High Res Photos can be found on the Blog - http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2011/06/xs650-clutch-upgrade-more-disks-more.html

Yet another bookmark to add to my collection. Have you posted any in the past for info on head porting? Also, what are you doing to get 11:1 compression?

Thanks for another helpful mod demo with greats pics. Looking forward to the next!

Yet another bookmark to add to my collection. Have you posted any in the past for info on head porting? Also, what are you doing to get 11:1 compression?

Thanks for another helpful mod demo with greats pics. Looking forward to the next!

Not putting up any head work just yet... Jack is WAY better at it than I am, so no need to even try to compete with his talents :thumbsup:

So long as you aren't using MikesXS 750 kit, 11:1 is easy to obtain. I'm using JE pistons from Gary Hoos at Hoos Racing, which are 10.5:1 as is, and decking the head some while I am at it.

I plan on taking a page from your book and running Mike's 750 kit with some Lectrons I already have.

How much do you plan on taking off the head? And yes, I want ALL of your secrets! lol :laugh:

you machine a lot off the inner hub. will it still be strong enuf? inxs's attemp seemed to be a lot more dificult. your looks fairly attempable to a novice with a lathe.
but i dont know anything about machining. just throwing it out there.
did you have to take some meat out of the inside of the clutch cover? the rectangle?

did you have to take some meat out of the inside of the clutch cover? the rectangle?

Nope, this clutch basket as a whole is the same width as stock. That was one of my goals. I had to remove more from the back of the inner basket to make it work that way of course.

This is exactly what I've been looking for.

With my turbo bike I'm pretty sure the stock clutch wasn't going to cut it but I wasn't sure what to do. I'll definitely need to bone up on this one.

Can't wait till you get it in a bike and ride it, give us your impressions.
thanks
Sky

a guy ,,,i think he,s the xs650 web manager in australia ,,,makes a high performance billet clutch set up,,, i think he also charges an arm and leg for them regards oldbiker

Very trick. Some of the xs's came with a 7 disc setup from the factory, right? But thinner discs. I can never remember how many mine has, and I just had it apart.

Nice work as always. Now we want that front wheel even higher off the ground.

This one goes in a 2" stretched frame in the tail, and 5" stretch in the front. It'll take some work to lift, but it will happen or I'll break parts trying :thumbsup: Probably break the wheels first :laugh:

Do you have any measurements for doing it to the 6 plate clutch?

This one started out as a 6 plate clutch pack... Didn't take measurements, sorry... If you are gonna do it, you won't need measurements, just alot of test fitting and such.... :thumbsup:

Back