A 5 bike collection

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta change the oil in the van then I'm off after the bikes.
79 special
80 special II
72 parts bike (bought from me about 5-8 years ago, LOL)
XJ1100
assorted and misc partz
another fill the van and trailer with XS's adventure.
The diet plan seems to have some rather large exceptions. eh @GLJ ???
IMG_1775.JPEG
@jetmechmarty What're the 11s worth?
These bikes will be available soon as they get to the shed of ill repute.
More Pics later.
Can't just sit home all the time......
Allison went to a horse fair today, and didn't take the van, so it's her fault!

What a bunch of capitalists! If you must have more than one bike, why not diversify. You couldn't go wrong with this lot: 66 Spitfire, 69 Bonny, any Triton, 75 750SS, any Norvin, any Vincent, a Triumph 750 triple, anyone will do. I've just realised there are no Japanese bikes in this collection, so you better grab a 69 CB750, a 72 Z900, and a widowmaker while you're out and about collecting stuff. Oh, and you'll need at least one Marusho flat twin to complete the perfect collection! I did say 'perfect collection', so forget an XS650!

This collection is just to look at, if you insist on riding one, pick the 750ss.

Last edited:
What a bunch of capitalists! If you must have more than one bike, why not diversify. You couldn't go wrong with this lot: 66 Spitfire, 69 Bonny, any Triton, 75 750SS, any Norvin, any Vincent, a Triumph 750 triple, anyone will do. I've just realised there are no Japanese bikes in this collection, so you better grab a 69 CB750, a 72 Z900, and a widowmaker while you're out and about collecting stuff. Oh, and you'll need at least one Marusho flat twin to complete the perfect collection! I did say 'perfect collection', so forget an XS650!

This collection is just to look at, if you insist on riding one, pick the 750ss.
Thanks for the kind words Tog.
Didn't go looking for these, Richard called me. Time had come, he'd had his fun doing the restorations, Age and issues had mostly ended his desire to ride, didn't want to have to deal with dispersing the herd to a bunch of tire kickers and complainers. He knew me from parts and bike deals years ago, we kept in touch now and then. Couple texts n phone calls, two hours of loading, his garage was clean. He has a really sharp 84 Dodge 4X4 pickup he's had from new, takes it to shows now and then.
Mostly talk about the XS's here. But they aren't my only bikes. I'm not a buy and hold kind of guy. My ideal bike is a; buy a "needs a few issues fixed" neglected bike" do a general maintenance, troubleshooting ,repair, ride for a while (for fun and to be sure it's ready for adventure) find it a new owner, start looking again.
I quit counting a couple hundred bikes ago, Lots of chain saws, metal working equipment, anything else that catches my eye goes through the shop. There's a 24' man lift out in the shed now, bought not working, It's refurbed and ready to use, I'll do a couple house maintenance chores with it and off it goes to a new home.
Like you I enjoy using my hands to return items to usefulness.
I've been trying to clear out some room to get a concrete floor poured in at least part of the shed. That's back on hold (again :doh:)
I'm thankful I can still do stuff, but the the sand is running low.
Picks after I unload and bin all the parts. Oh yeah a bunch of "Patina" parts went in the trailer also. Anyone looking for an 81 KZ440 2 into 2 exhaust? :laugh:
PS I've ridden 10's of thousands of miles on XS650's, they are GREAT back roads bikes, and can handle longish interstate trips too.

Last edited:
Mostly talk about the XS's here. But they aren't my only bikes. I'm not a buy and hold kind of guy. My ideal bike is a; buy a "needs a few issues fixed" neglected bike" do a general maintenance, troubleshooting ,repair, ride for a while (for fun and to be sure it's ready for adventure) find it a new owner, start looking again.

That’s the business model I should’ve taken on. You have had so much fun with so many different kind of bikes over the years. You‘re a better trouble shooter over a wide range of mechanical things. I have spent too much of my life simply throwing money at the problem. It’s not a very smart business model. :laugh2:

If by business model you mean working for free, and staying out of the bars, yeah that's it. ;^)
Nothing personal but you need a "shed", and a certain tolerance for clutter for it to "work".
DSCN1094.JPG

So far this morning I've been cleaning, making room, buttoning up little projects here n there, before I start unloading.

Hey! By the way, that XJ1100 is an interesting model, a one year only here in the US and a two year model sold in Canada. I wasn’t even aware of its existence until I saw yours.
"sold two more years in Canada" AKA dumping the bikes they couldn't sell on the Canuks. ;^) @MaxPete
Really? I didn't know. But it's mostly an XS1100 special, or isn't it????
DSCN1093.JPG

It could be yours.....

Last edited:
I owned an XJ1100 Maxim for 30 yrs..Its a great bike and in north america it was the last of the XS1100 lineup..That bike looks to be in excellent condition with even the stock exhaust..I'd say its worth wwhat you can get for it...Which would be starting@$3000

If by business model you mean working for free, and staying out of the bars, yeah that's it. ;^)
Nothing personal but you need a "shed", and a certain tolerance for clutter for it to "work".View attachment 212693
So far this morning I've been cleaning, making room, buttoning up little projects here n there, before I start unloading.
That vans made for bike hauling

BTW those are air shocks ..they should have a specific PSI..and the front forks also take air as well...The schrader valves are near the top in front..been so long I have forgotten the PSI's for them..

Here ya ggggo gggary...
Old
05-31-2009, 04:33 AM
blue giant's Avatarblue giant

XSive Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirmit77 View Post
Hey guys, I have some 82 xj shocks that need to be aired up.... how much PSI do I put in them???
57 psi max in the rear shocks

17 psi max in the front shocks.

Be careful if you fill them with a gas station air compressor, the volume of air the shocks hold is very minimal and you can blow the seals out in a heart beat.

The suggested pressures for a solo rider is 6 psi in the front and 14 psi in the rear.

HTH

Paul

Back