A BLOODY GOOD READ

Adamc

XS650 MEDDLER
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years I have subscribed to a number of motorcycle magazines, mostly UK related. Titles such as Performance Bike, Ride, Motorcycle Mechanics etc..
Back in the day they were a pleasant way to find out about bikes past and present; and who didn't like the monthly 'Ogri' cartoons by Paul Sample?
Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 20.15.46.png
Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 20.25.44.png

And dont forget his girl Mitzi, his daft mate Mal, plus the ever loyal hound.

Following a long bike lay off, my subscriptions lapsed as did my interest in the magazines.
More recently after the acquisition of The Welsh Flat Tracker XS650, I started to read the odd title again.
Apart from Classic Bike most of the bike magazines today lack real and meaningful content. It seems most of the 'journalists' are just happy to jump on the manufacturers freebie bike launches in far away places; load up on free hospitality, and ride around on the latest hot-shot penis enlarger, and enthuse wildly. Is it that they are unable to dissect the differences of similar machines from differing manufacturers, and give honest conclusions. Or are they just happy not to upset the providers of said trips and bikes in case they are ejected from the next trip?

Anyhoo; I bought an oldish copy of Classic Motorcycle Mechanics (September 2015) from eBay which arrived today.

IMG_1938.jpeg

Mainly because I had owned some of the machine types contained in the mag.
What a revelation. Far less advertising compared to the current stuff. Well written articles. Plus handy tips and interesting reviews of bikes from yesteryear and current at the time.
This is more like it, I might even get a newer edition / subscription if they still deliver content like this.

IMG_1939.jpeg

HONDA VTR1000 Firestorm: Had one for a few years and did a number of European tours on one.
Uprated suspension and Micron pipes (What a noise). Didn't even mid the limited fuel range, more stops for good coffee and cakes!
IMG_1940.jpeg

The the Africa Twin. Always fancied one of these reliable machines that were happy on tarmac and big milage desert trails.
IMG_1941.jpeg

The SUZUKI Gixer 750, was it really the last of the old 750 Superbikes?
IMG_1942.jpeg

Then the thing I got the mag for: YAMAHA XS650 Custom
IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_1946.jpeg

I would be interested if any members have other opinions regarding magazines old or current. Are any worthwhile; and what titles do you support in your country?

Read on,
Ads:devil:

Big Bike, Easy Rider... Iron Horse. All gone far as I know.
The thing I liked about Big Bike was that they focused on non-Harley's and covered Road Racing, All of the other mags were 75% dirt bike and I was not into them at that time. I remember thy did a feature on a H-2 prepared by Denco in California. They claimed 90hp. I was in love with that bike and bought one later that year (76).

Adamc - thanks for the good read - article saved.
Regards - Ray.
p.s. used to love the Easyrider magazine - especially the David Mann centrefolds.

Adamc - thanks for the good read - article saved.
Regards - Ray.
p.s. used to love the Easyrider magazine - especially the David Mann centrefolds.
My pleasure Ray,
We have a version of the magazine Easy Rider in the UK
abc.PNG

Custom Chopper Bikes were never in my field back in the day; I had a need for Speed or Classic UK / JAP bikes of the 60's & 70s.
Mind you looking at that cover above, it may be worth a second viewing!:whistle:
Adam. :devil:

Adam - I see David Mann mentioned on the front cover. I grew up in a steelworks/shipbuilding town - rough as guts - I chopped a 42 WLA (same as on the cover) - it was a terrible mess but its what we did in those days (the 70's). My brother in law was a member of the local bikies and used to live with us so I was hanging around that type of scene.
After the chopper I went standard bikes with T160 Trident, Mark2 Norton Commando, A65 lightening, A10 bsa.
Thanks for the magazine cover, brings back memories of a great time.
Regards - Ray.

Back