A Cautionary Tale

Installing a damaged clip to show the wire doesn't hold it on is not the same as some fool installing a damaged clip :)

OK Jim you are right, I took your advice and safety wired my master link clip.
masterlink.jpg

I know they make special safety wire pliers. Is that what you guys are using? I don't know if I could get such a nice twisted section with just normal pliers or needle nose pliers.

I know they make special safety wire pliers. Is that what you guys are using? I don't know if I could get such a nice twisted section with just normal pliers or needle nose pliers.
In aviation you have places where you cant use pliers... so when I was teaching I'd always start out with hand safetying, then move on to the pliers. You can do just as good... even better by hand.
This guys a little wordy.... but he shows a good example of doing it by hand.

Pincers..........that's what i used when steel fixing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pincers_(tool)
31ECCP-1-1_TB_carpenter_s_pincers_.jpg

No way could it be done by hand using that wire around the link...........wouldn't get any tension............Also need to use some needle pliers to flatten the wire around the chain as per Gary's pic........can see the plier marks

A single strand wire being wrapped around twice is still a single strand...........doesn't give it extra strength............If the wire was doubled before wrapping it around then it would

If you don't have safety wire pliers in your collection, I recommend that you use needle nose vice grips.

Cats 021.JPG

These allow you to really grip the wire, and PULL HARD, then twist, then PULL HARD, then twist, then PULL, then twist .....
just the way the orthodontist did on my braces in the 1960's....OUCH !!

Cats 025.JPG

Have a set of (cheap) aviation safety wire pliers but the twister died, so this was just needle nose work as ole' eagle eye skull surmised. I might do it one more time, if i get it just right I can tuck the pigtail back under the loops. Maybe even drill sergeant Dent (SIR!) would approve.
And yes form the first set of bends with the pliers before you pass it behind the plate, helps keep things snug.

Have a set of (cheap) aviation safety wire pliers but the twister died, so this was just needle nose work as ole' eagle eye skull surmised. I might do it one more time, if i get it just right I can tuck the pigtail back under the loops. Maybe even drill sergeant Dent (SIR!) would approve.
And yes form the first set of bends with the pliers before you pass it behind the plate, helps keep things snug.
If you get the loops fully tight, you shouldn't be able to tuck the pigtail underneath..

I recently tried something like this to hold some parts in place while tack welding. MIG wire wouldn't take more than a couple twists before breaking. Some of that stainless wire would be handy to have around.

Scott
Once you have the SS wire on your shelf, you'll find a multitude of uses for it.

When I was racing karts, I wouldn't even think of using anything else on my fuel lines. Lose a race because the fuel line came off? never.....

petcock 013.JPG

^I use mini zip ties for that. Actually two, in case one rots and comes off... The black ones are supposed to be UV resistant.

^I use mini zip ties for that. Actually two, in case one rots and comes off... The black ones are supposed to be UV resistant.
Mini zip ties fail.
And you seem to have suspected such: "Actually two, in case one rots and comes off"
Fatigue, heat weakening, mechanical failure , inadequate circumferential binding. Very bad idea.

Last edited:
Back