A handy custom xs 650 engine stand.

dguthrie

Teach
Reaction score
Thought I'd share what I made with other xs guys to make the work a little easier. I've been trying to collect the xs 650 motors and parts because I'd like to build some custom bikes. I needed and easy way to mount one for bench work and to be able to run it on a stand. This is what I came up with. Copy mine or improve on it. I'd love to see more of these old gals back on the road, and anything I can do to help that happen is cool with me.

You may have to enlarge the pictures, or if you like, contact me and I can take more pictures and PM them or post them. The stand can be mounted in a horizontal or vertical tube bolted to a bench, or make a pedestal if you like. The engine bracket mounts to the engine in several different locations so you can split the case or take off the jugs or do stuff to it in some :wtf: positions. It's got three different side shafts to mount to the bench mount. All can rotate 360 degrees. I made it to be strong enough to kick start the thing or electric start on the bench. :doh:(Safety first! Consult a professional to check out what you're doing.)

You have to use some good heavy steel and be a competent welder. Also, the bench it's mounted to has to be strong enough to handle what you'll be doing.

Good luck. Hope y'all like it and RIDE SAFE!

Attachments

• deposit 025.jpg
    deposit 025.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 280
  • deposit 026.jpg
    deposit 026.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 300
  • deposit 027.jpg
    deposit 027.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 295
That certainly is different. I like it.

And a tease. An earlier early engine. Note the reinforcing gussets at the base of the left cylinder.
Hope it becomes a runner...

Thanks for the response 2M. Just so's ya know, it's a 1970 gen 1. At least that's what the guy who sold it to me told me. I never bothered to look up the ID number. It's got good compression and the seller also told me it was a runner when removed. If the carbs are any good, it should run like a scalded dog.

My bike is an 81 Special. First one I ever built, so I figured I should learn how to ride one. Got my license at age 50. I teach Auto Mechanics so some folks call me Teach. My students call me the anti-Christ. Just means I done it right.

Note the reinforcing gussets at the base of the left cylinder.

Wait what, huh?
It's got the 11-5 o:clock oil filter cover bolts but not the screw on clutch adjuster cover.

Minor heads up; the front engine mount hole is a bit further back than it is on later engines you will need to do special front mounts for a later frame.

Hey Gary:

The pics may not show it too well, but the motor mount tabs on the stand can swivel around a good bit. Anything that isn't a a good match up can be remedied with a little flat bar and a drill.

The engine on the stand is supposed to be a 1970. The bike I currently ride is an 81. Points and a kicker only for the 71. I think it has the original clutch plates in it. They had rubber separators on them. Thing is, they were in good enough shape I didn't have to throw them out. I did have to replace the worm gear on the clutch release though.

Howdy 2M:

Here's my 81. Love these machines. Beauty in simplicity. I know nothing of the minute differences from one model to the next. I just jumped on the little 1970 when I had the chance because I like them. Maybe you could point out the differences for me.

Thanks,
Doug

1220151849.jpg

1220151849a.jpg

1220151850.jpg

Will do. There are a few up under a thread called "Sledge Hammer Therapy." It gets a lot of attention. I was up at my buddy's shop one day (Madness Motorcycles), and some dude was just sitting there staring at it. Said he'd been there two hours trying to figure out all I'd done to it. The guy is a hardcore Harley type. I did everything on it by hand. Lot of hours went in to that thing. Cut out and and hammered out the seat. Even tooled the leather. That little bike has been a lot of fun.

Back