A "license" To Buy Tools? Or... Amazon Idjuts.

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
So... I needed to buy some spark plug TIME-SERTS for an engine I'm doing the top end on. Everywhere local has to order 'em. Decided to see what Amazon could do for me. Found some that were reasonable and shipping is quicker than the big name parts stores. Gets 4.5 stars out of 87 reviews. As always, I quickly scrolled down to see if there were any recurrent gripes... there weren't, but I found this 1 star review interesting.

Untitled.png

So... this guy had no idea what he was doing, didn't have any instructions, was too stoopid to look on YouTube.... and totally fucked the entire job up. He got a whopping 4 miles from home on his repair (?) before it blew up in his face... and has the balls to give the seller a 1 star rating. And then, to totally blow my mind... 3 people found this review "helpful." I'm well on my way to losing faith in humanity. :rolleyes:

If this isn't grounds for passing a "tool buyers license law".... then what is? Oy Vey... :doh:

Last edited:
Strange thing is when I looked at those inserts on Amazon the description does not match what they show in the picture:
Product Description
OEM Tapered Spark Plug Thread Repair Inserts are designed for rethreading in all materials such as alloys, steel, plastics, magnesium, etc. Specified for military, aviation and other similar usage. Inserts are made from high quality 18-8 stainless steel wire with a diamond shaped cross section wound to the shape of a spring thread.

This is the link to where I found that:
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-256...m_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#productDetails

I'm thinking the "seller" does not have a good idea of what he is selling!

Did a little more digging and see that the 25648 kit on Amazon is just the insert replacement kit for the actual tool 25647 tool.

Just so happens I have that tool set right in front of me! Bought it to replaced loose threads in an XS400 years ago. And Just for anyone's information below are the instructions that the guy on Amazon did not have because he apparently did not buy the complete kit with the swaging tool. It does raise one question, if he did not have the swaging tool that comes in the kit I have then he also would not have the tap to install the insert so????? How did he use the insert?????
plug kit01.jpg

Back