A Question about aftermarket electronic ignitions

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve wondered this before, when looking at aftermarket electronic ignitions and just recently again when I was shopping for my Boyer ignition. The British bike aftermarket has more choices in ignitions, but why?
Why won’t an ignition unit made for a Norton or BSA or Triumph twin work exactly the same way on our Yamaha twins or any Japanese twin. I know there must be something that differentiate all these models but what is it?

I suspect it's the size of the plate more than anything. The old Norton's and Triumph's were pushrod engines. So the cam was down in the engine cases. Don't remember that far back, but I suspect the points plates are bigger.

That would make sense, I would assume that other than physical shape and size, all other characteristics would be the same.

Can it be the Prince of darkness mr Lucas was a " **** *** "
Germans had a working setup Bosch
Italians and Americans most likely even the French As well as most Car manufacturers could get something together
Japanese could do it
Just not Triumph So the riders owners have searched for a working alternative
Prepared to pay for it. A market is there.While the others might not even heard of a problem as in Bosch

There are ( I believe ) about four different companies that make ignitions for British bikes, Boyer, Vape, Paizon, and I can’t remember the fourth ones name but it was expensive and had programmable advance curves.

There are ( I believe ) about four different companies that make ignitions for British bikes, Boyer, Vape, Paizon, and I can’t remember the fourth ones name but it was expensive and had programmable advance curves.
Sachse
The list two different ones for the XS650.

Mailman, I see in your other thread that you have ordered the Boyer. I am curious why you apparently did not consider the Gonzo. I am not really up-to-date on the various Gonzo threads, but I thought that it has been completely sorted out?

but I thought that it has been completely sorted out?
The gonzo conversion for '80 and up TCI bikes is pretty well sorted. It's a straight forward mod that by all reports is working just fine. I'm using it on my bike.
The gonzo conversion for the '79 and earlier points engines isn't sorted yet. The search is ongoing for a suitable trigger that anyone can DIY onto their engine.

Mailman, I see in your other thread that you have ordered the Boyer. I am curious why you apparently did not consider the Gonzo. I am not really up-to-date on the various Gonzo threads, but I thought that it has been completely sorted out?

Just because, to me the Boyer is a well known
ignition with a proven track record and a straight forward installation. I’m tired of all the drama with my XS2. I just want to ride the damned thing! :laugh2:

Just because, to me the Boyer is a well known
ignition with a proven track record and a straight forward installation. I’m tired of all the drama with my XS2. I just want to ride the damned thing! :laugh2:
Got it!
The gonzo conversion for '80 and up TCI bikes is pretty well sorted. It's a straight forward mod that by all reports is working just fine. I'm using it on my bike.
The gonzo conversion for the '79 and earlier points engines isn't sorted yet. The search is ongoing for a suitable trigger that anyone can DIY onto their engine.
Again, I'm not up-to-date, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it sounds to me like you just swap in a readily available TCI rotor and stator and possibly make some minor wring changes, and the Gonzo is working on 79 and earlier. For most, I think that would be pretty DYI. Of course the TCI rotor and stator might add as much as $100, depending on how patient and good you are at finding one.

Of course the TCI rotor and stator might add as much as $100, depending on how patient and good you are at finding one.
Bingo. Yes, with a TCI rotor and stator, you effectively have a pretty simple TCI conversion.... for a pretty penny I might add. Add to that the fact that TCI triggers are turning into hens teeth and it looks less and less attractive. When it's all said and done, that would be comparable in cost... or at least approaching the cost of the Boyer.
As an aside, no one's making a replacement TCI trigger to the best of my knowledge. One day there will be a need for an affordable replacement. Hopefully, the work on the gonzo points bike system will eventually answer that coming need.

I suspect it's the size of the plate more than anything. The old Norton's and Triumph's were pushrod engines. So the cam was down in the engine cases. Don't remember that far back, but I suspect the points plates are bigger.

The reasoning is correct but I think the points plate was smaller on the Triumph twin. The points were on the r/h end of the exhaust camshaft - here's a picture off that internet, the points cover is the little chrome one with legs at lower right:

bonnie x.jpg

I don't know what other factors apart from physical fit differ between the Boyer set-ups for different twins.

Bingo. Yes, with a TCI rotor and stator, you effectively have a pretty simple TCI conversion.... for a pretty penny I might add. Add to that the fact that TCI triggers are turning into hens teeth and it looks less and less attractive.
This is where you plan ahead. The PMA guys are putting TCI rotors and stators on eBay and Facebook Marketplace (and on this Forum) pretty regularly, often practically giving them away, especially on Facebook (and this Forum). I have a nice stash of them, and I've resold several.

NewTronic is an optical contact-less sensor. Been around a long time. I believe it use to be made by Pirahna ??? I actually have a setup for an XS but have never looked into installing it yet.

Actually, now that I think about it. When I bought a replacement rotor for my XS2 from Jim, he hooked me up with a rotor off of a later model that has the magnets for triggering the ignition. I could’ve figured out a way to make a Gonzo work in my XS2.
Ironically when I was first building my XS2, I thought really hard about putting a Boyer in it then. I was interested in seeing the contrast in installation and performance with my other 650 which already had a Pamco in it. I should’ve followed that instinct apparently.
I’m going to be beside myself if this doesn’t cure the problem! :confused:

Back