A quick bog.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I took the frame in to be blasted the other day, while there I compared the powder coat black to the acrylic lacquer black I'm using, a good match, so I've decided the get the frame powder coated. After the frame was blasted I took it home for some light bogging before the powder coat, I managed to find some high heat bog and so I've be applying that for the last couple of days.

Only a light bog around the headstock, front downtubes, front of the shock mounts, footpeg gusset area and some minor stuff here and there. I gotta tell you though, I really hate bogging without checking to see if it's flat by applying applying paint, impossible to tell just by rubbing your fingers over it.

Worst area is the gusset where the footrests and brake pedal mount, what a mess this area is, divets, lumps, chewing gum welds. It's not flat, but reasonably smooth - I think! I'll only find out after the powder coat has been applied and hopefully the bog won't fall out.

Attachments

• WIN_20220618_16_35_32_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220618_16_35_32_Pro.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 86
  • WIN_20220618_16_35_40_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220618_16_35_40_Pro.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 84
  • WIN_20220618_16_36_50_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220618_16_36_50_Pro.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 90
  • WIN_20220618_16_37_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220618_16_37_19_Pro.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 91
  • WIN_20220618_16_36_38_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220618_16_36_38_Pro.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 88
Hey Togl.
I'm a big proponent of powdercoating and have done some for a while now. I am most certainly NOT an all pro nor do I have a full array of knowledge. I do get great results but I always follow the same principles. I have never powdercoated over anything but bare metal (or over a second or third coat that originated on bare metal). With no experience powdercoating over bog, would make me a touch uneasy.
It was always drilled into me that the metal must be bare and clean. Again there are always new techniques and better materials appearing so I am in no way saying it won't work out.
I've never really even attempted it. Just always stuck with what I was taught works.
Your powdercoater can guide you.
I am always interested in learning new techniques and will be very interested in how this turns out for you. If I can manufacture some extra time I may attempt some test pieces myself provided I can find some 500 degree bog around here. Being able to use bog instead of the tedious metal working is the singular advantage painting has over powdercoating to me.
Good luck with it. That is a gorgeous bike.
Looking forward to seeing it together again.

As far as I know, heat resistant bog is only good up to 200c, the same temp as the powdercoat oven, so I am a little nervous. It's going to cost me $250 to find out.

My mistake in not specifying Fahrenheit.
200c is close to the 400f that most all powders I use cook at. I said 500f because I would like a bit of extra buffer. Well I hope the experiment pays off for you. If not I think the effort cleaning that powdercoated frame and re prepping it might make the 250 dollar loss seem like the small price. If it works out you will have inspired me to spend some time developing a new technique. Thanks for sharing this innovative idea, you have me thinking.

Did some more research, seems the high heat bogs are ok, sometimes, sometimes not. So, being a tightwad, I'll not risk the $250., and I don't fancy having to remove powdercoat if it don't work out. Instead I'll spend the $250 on a litre of 2K instead. Funnily enough there's even some risk with 2k over bog, why does everything have to be so damn hard!

It's called "fun." :laugh2:

'Sides... if it were easy, everyone would do it.
No, no, no: Wrenching is fun, fabricating is fun, machining is fun, electrical work is fun, welding is fun. Painting is on the same level as polishing aluminium.

So many odd people in this group. Polishing is not fun, it's hard on my poor old fused fingers, not to mention my non existent elbow joints. And it has to be the filthiest, dirtiest, ongoing jobs one can imagine, electrical work is easy. You are indeed one of the odd ones Mailman, go stand in the corner with Jim! Cut your ears off, one of Chopper Reed's funny friends did it for him, so it can't be too difficult

Back