about to lose my mind....clutch slipping - maybe

OK just to double check my previous statement I checked the hour meter (no odometer). Meter put in when motor was freshened.

Swapped out basket and put new stuff in @ 32.6 hrs.

Bike now has 48.9 hrs.

Event happened about 1.5hrs away.

So almost 15 hrs without a problem.

Before it happened atleast once every tank of gas (90 miles).

Clearly swapping the basket changed something.....its gotta be some obscure fitment or tolerance issue.....or maybe its the clutch adjustment I made just prior....ive heard these are picky on clutch adjustment, although I've never heard adjustment attributed to something sounding remotely like my problem.

....thinking out loud.

my bike is doing the same thing! last year bike had no problems. this winter rebuilt motor, new mikes 5th gear. I have adjusted the clutch 100 times , no help . still doing the same thing. swapped out the basket with two other ones I had laying around , no fix. new springs , new fibers, new push rod, new fibers, no help! so what is the problem?

.....and I also did the work this winter....which means we bought our gears at the same time....double hmmmm

My purchase was made in December.

Received some new clutch plates couple months ago, .003" thinner than my old barnetts, 7 plates makes .021" (.5mm) thinner stackup, triple hmmmm...

Hey, guyz, If/when you crack them open again, take careful measurements of critical dimensions that affect dog/cog engagement. Like backside face to straight portion (not the end/beveled portion) of affected dogs and cogs, and same measurement using fork slot face...

shark, honestly I have no idea.....its above my pay grade.

TwoMany.....will do.

However after rethinking it I *MAY* not tear mine apart.....if it happens once every 15 hours.....is it really a big issue?

If it starts happening often, well then its coming apart for sure.

......I may sleep on it a few days.

OK.....its coming apart. Next week on Tuesday I leave for vacation.

My buddy is a full time motorcycle mechanic and wrench of "old crap"......he said its slow at the shop and he'd pick it up, pull it down and do the swap......apparently hes bored as hell.

shark? Did you buy just the 5th OD gear or did you also buy the corresponding "other" gear. I bought the "other" gear as well because I had a chunk of the engagement dog missing and laying in the bottom of the sump (although it ran flawless for many miles like that).

TwoMany.....when I get the Mikes 5th gear in my hand Id be glad to send it to you if you want to look it over.....not sure if that would help shed some light on this issue or not.

The comparison measurements I'd be doing may not be useable as all I've got for gears is 70-71 XS1 stuff.
If you have both your old 5th and new OD 5th, could try some close comparison pics, and folks could note and/or mark-up your pics, noting where to take measurements...

Maybe you could delay until more symptom data could be collected.

I think, what we'd all like to know is, at the moment it disengages:

1 - Clutch lever free play - different? When you pull it in, then let out, feel different? Sounds?
2 - Gearshift lever - Lift up, any movement? Push down, re-engagement?
3 - Throttle change - Subtle then rapid throttle movement, any change?
4 - Simultaneous combinations of the above, any change?
5 - Let experienced mechanic have it for a while, does he experience mental breakdown?

Most mechanics would do a variety of these things first, get a few more pieces of data before teardown.

Last edited:
OK.....its coming apart. Next week on Tuesday I leave for vacation.

My buddy is a full time motorcycle mechanic and wrench of "old crap"......he said its slow at the shop and he'd pick it up, pull it down and do the swap......apparently hes bored as hell.

shark? Did you buy just the 5th OD gear or did you also buy the corresponding "other" gear. I bought the "other" gear as well because I had a chunk of the engagement dog missing and laying in the bottom of the sump (although it ran flawless for many miles like that).

TwoMany.....when I get the Mikes 5th gear in my hand Id be glad to send it to you if you want to look it over.....not sure if that would help shed some light on this issue or not.

I changed both gears . I am not going to tear mine down yet. Mine only does it when I really twist on it in 5th. I have tried all kinds of adjustments with the clutch. Do you think heavier clutch springs will work

Twomany - when mine does it , there was about a 1/4 inch of clutch free play in the lever, no funny noise , just acted like you pulled the clutch in. Shifter feels normal .

Maybe you could delay until more symptom data could be collected.

I think, what we'd all like to know is, at the moment it disengages:

1 - Clutch lever free play - different? When you pull it in, then let out, feel different? Sounds?
2 - Gearshift lever - Lift up, any movement? Push down, re-engagement?
3 - Throttle change - Subtle then rapid throttle movement, any change?
4 - Simultaneous combinations of the above, any change?
5 - Let experienced mechanic have it for a while, does he experience mental breakdown?

Most mechanics would do a variety of these things first, get a few more pieces of data before teardown.

1 there is no difference in free play when this happens

2 ive never manipulated the lever during the problem, right after yes.....and it shifted no different

3 no change......to start with mine only required letting off the throttle just a titch then it would "hook up" and work correctly - this last couple times I would let off and get back on it and it would rev up and spin freely still.......Id have off again.....maybe a third time

4 this last time it happened in a string of 4 or 5 times....within 2 or 3 miles. I started looking stuff over......no movement in shifter when it happens........no change in slack at the lever......I even reached down and checked to see if there was slack at the side cover and there was.

5 my problem always has been its so random......happened once in 6 miles......but usually requires between 40 to 250 miles to show up. My buddy has ridden it several times but only for short distance of 10 miles or so - doesnt happen.

my bike is doing the same thing! last year bike had no problems. this winter rebuilt motor, new mikes 5th gear. I have adjusted the clutch 100 times , no help . still doing the same thing. swapped out the basket with two other ones I had laying around , no fix. new springs , new fibers, new push rod, new fibers, no help! so what is the problem?

What brand/type of friction discs did you use? With, w/out kevlar?
Same Q aaron, I know Vesrah, but stock, or not?

Is is possible that maybe that the shifter is out of adjustment? I am willing to try anything other than splitting the case again. I am running heavy clutch springs , but I know they made heavier?

What brand/type of friction discs did you use? With, w/out kevlar?
Same Q aaron, I know Vesrah, but stock, or not?

I believe mine are NON kevlar.

However mine did it before and after the plates - there was no change.

Prior to that I believe it had stock plates in it.

Is is possible that maybe that the shifter is out of adjustment? I am willing to try anything other than splitting the case again. I am running heavy clutch springs , but I know they made heavier?

Im running the heavier Barnett clutch springs.....I also tried two other brands - no change. I can save you going down that road.

I checked my shift adjustment - mine was fine.

I believe I can rule that out as it doesnt "pop" out of gear anyways......you dont have to put it back in gear, just let off the throttle.

Back