Adopting another problem child

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Going to pick this up this morning. Am I turning into Gary? Lol 5AA56AAD-E07F-43FB-9D92-931E4E1DB5F2.jpeg

I really like the look of a '75 model. For some reason, the front end just looks so "beefy" (even though I know it's not, lol). But I'm sure that with lots of the little "upgrades" outlined around here, it could be made into a really nice ride.

So got Problem Child home and did a quick inspection. The oil in the crankcase doesn’t look bad as far as old oil goes and there is no water in it which I was very happy to see. There is no ig switch key. The gas cap has a gauge in it but the glass is missing and who knows if the thing works and if the key matches the other ones that belonged to the bike. I can smell old nasty gas from somewhere so hopefully it’s the tank. That always seems to improve the chances of less rust and it’s easier to remove gunk than rust. Plugs were loose and wet with a stinky oily substance so it’s possible someone has already tried to soak these cylinders. It doesn’t matter as I’ll be pulling this engine eventually anyway. Gears appear to be alright and it rolls excellent however the spokes will need replacing so here we go with that again. Seat pan appears to be rusted out around the edges but again I will have to work on getting the seat lock off. I didn’t know the ‘75 came with the dual cable carb set-up but it’s complete and the carbs butterflies are free. I vacuumed the mouse nests out of what once would have been air filters. Side stand is missing it’s spring but it’s there and center stand is missing the foot tab but it’s there as well. Surprisingly the paint on the tank is not bad. The clear coat is shot but I love leaving original paint unmolested. A little wet sanding and some new CC would make it look amazing. Master cylinder has liquid in it not paste so that might be good. Passenger mirror came off with a little lube but throttle side took most of the aluminum threads with it. That’s an easy fix. All in all I think I have something here I can work with. I’ve seen the threads on here about popping open the gas cap but does that look like it works the same way as a stock cap? Stock exhaust is in pretty good shape with a few dings and minor surface rust.5F777FD0-C5A2-4FC2-B82B-E950DAB2B486.jpeg75700E79-613D-417B-9FD5-CDDE54E4D5E6.jpeg3C23D54B-1D9C-4724-8FB2-F3F1E5CDEF1A.jpegD32184B6-E701-4E90-AAFB-7B3C308005BA.jpegD9EAAFCA-AFE2-481F-B0C5-5E61C33E77E8.jpeg1B8BC51F-B901-476E-99AF-5681EC8C0F29.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice pickup. That gas cap is cool and the chrome on it is good. if it works or not that's worth a pretty penny on ots own.

Not sure about getting those gas caps open without a key. I the recesses of my mind there has been some discussion revolving around these types of latches/caps...........cant recall though, sorry

Thanks Skull. I’ll pull the ignition off and get a key made that should fit the seat latch as well. It’s a guess as to whether it will work on the cap. If not I can pick the lock and take that in as well.

I didn’t take pics today but the guy had many older bikes and parts sitting around, all makes and models.he had an ‘81 XS that looked like someone had hit a brick wall at 60mph but other then the front end being curled under the engine looked fine. He also had an XS2 in a shed but he said he needed to find all the parts to it as the tank and some components were taken off. I told him to contact me when he located everything.

Stock caps of that style are hard to come by and usually pull a premium. I’ve never seen that style with a gauge in it before. I’ve seen some early caps like that but not the 74/75 style. :thumbsup:

I think on that older type gas cap, the lock stays on the tank and the cap just lifts up off it. If that's true then it could very well still be the original lock. I think I can see some numbers stamped on the lock face (barely). If they are there, compare them to the numbers stamped on the faces of the ignition and seat locks. You just may get lucky here.

I think on that older type gas cap, the lock stays on the tank and the cap just lifts up off it. If that's true then it could very well still be the original lock. I think I can see some numbers stamped on the lock face (barely). If they are there, compare them to the numbers stamped on the faces of the ignition and seat locks. You just may get lucky here.
That’s how it appears to work. I will probably pull the ignition to take to the locksmith and I’ll check tomorrow if those are matching #’s

I have 3 xs650B from ‘75, same key work for all 4 locks, ignition/seat/gas cap and steering lock. Never seen the tank lid with the gauge, wonder how it works and if it’s an aftermarket or original cap. If the rubber gasket is well worn out you may be able to get it off by removing the hinge pin in the front and slide the cap forward and wriggle a bit. It’s a pretty simple lock latch used on these. Lock is separate from the lid - a two pc unit so to speak. Good luck

Sweet, Ww! "The Problem Child" LOL. :laughing: I love the names we give our bikes. Not only are they terms of endearment, but you know there gonna be stories behind 'em. I wish "The Basketcase" (pictured, to the left) had looked so good when I got it. It's still in pieces (too many other projects). Best of luck with it!

Last edited:
Back