Adopting another problem child

But still, TX/XS500's are excellent 650 parts donors. I've stripped 3 over the years, lol. The coffee can full of metric fasteners I got has saved my bacon more than once. Many are J.I.S. type with smaller heads than normal metric fasteners. In particular, this applies to the M8 bolts, nuts, and acorn nuts.

I will be swapping some items over and I’ve checked wiring colors and those appear to match. I won’t be doing anything crazy but like you said, even the fasteners are golden.

Pulled the valves out of the head and going to clean it up really well, lap the valves and back together. I don’t have a parts washer(unless you count the kiddie pool) so I asked my neighbor if I could use his. Next thing I know he’s wheeling it over and telling me to keep it as long as I need it. Well I know that trick! I’m always offering up big items to friends and family so they can store them at their house. Lol. Willis is sending out my liners and I ordered rings last night. I have gaskets and seals but may as well put in another order of those as well. Sold the frame and the carbs for the XJ so I know where that money is going…..

Putting things back together this morning and of course on the last valve the compressor tool slips off the spring cap and the one retainer I had in there went flying. I would have better luck buying a lotto ticket than finding that thing. Question is, are those a standard size that I can get somewhere or do I have to use Yama only?

There are two different styles. Ask me how i know.... I think Mike's has them too. Just make sure you get the right style. Photo courtesy of Rustie..

1659541880558.png

If the '74 TX you're referring to is that 500, I think you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure the 500 valve stems are smaller. The keeper part numbers don't match exactly either, the first 3 and last 2 numbers differ.

If the '74 TX you're referring to is that 500, I think you'll be disappointed. I'm pretty sure the 500 valve stems are smaller. The keeper part numbers don't match exactly either, the first 3 and last 2 numbers differ.
Yep, valve stems are 5.5mm OD. Got any used Honda motors about? (kidding - risky business)

Nope if they are different then I’ll order a set I just hate paying more for postage than I pay for the order. Got time anyway, I ordered parts from several different sources, a couple being in the UK so I don’t expect those until next week. It’s too easy to do it right so no shortcuts. JP where did you find those size specs?

you know i have the book:geek:

I’ve often noticed you seemed to have an inside track on the tech specs lol.

Just so you know, that listing on Partzilla lists it as requiring 8 but the listing (and price) is just for one.

Yea I figured that out lol just looking at availability. I just ordered a set from Mikes. I ordered the valve to replace the bent one on my 76 from there and it was good quality and at the time no one else had any in stock. I should have set up a box behind my vise where the head was clamped for the install. Of course I was looking at the bottom when it popped off so I never even had a chance for a visual. Found the inner spring and the retainer but held out little hope for that keeper. Lol I’ll probably step on it right after the new ones show up.

Last edited:
Liners showed up from @willis today and I was ready. I made a frame to set everything on and put the new liners in the freezer while I put the jugs on the grill. 15 mins later they fell out when I picked them up. Frosty ones slid right in and per suggestion I clamped things for cooling to reduce any chance of movement. Now it’s just a waiting game for parts.F835743C-EA37-4FF6-AB66-C4888897EA2F.jpeg331C53A5-576B-4ECE-BEB6-3A6FC5426C1B.jpegF26A8B72-798D-4100-AADB-756812CAAB60.jpeg4132487C-C038-4D7E-8AFF-60D848F41CB3.jpeg6FDD0722-73A7-49FA-924B-34A8AA95AE81.jpeg

well I’m calling that a fail(sort of) after I cleaned up the new sleeves with a hone I figured I better do what I didn’t last motor and checked the end gap on a stock ring..026, twice spec if I remember right so I called a Honda buddy that has a few connections to machine shops. The win? If I had to go over size anyway at least now I can just take the liners in and just flip them again When done. Still not going to look for OS sets until I know what I can do5A0720D0-EC83-41DA-ABD3-680FE71A31A8.jpeg

Ring end-gap is easy fix. Can you measure piston skirt clearance as-is? May avoid bore-job

And...boring liners only may present another set of issues

Back