Adopting another problem child

No, pilot jet type differs. The '75 and older carbs use BS30/96 type pilots while the '76-'79 carbs use VM22/210 type.

650 Pilot Jets.jpg

Well my rear wheel bearings and seals showed up today and that was a quick flip. Only issue is I thought I had a set of brake shoes on the shelf but it doesn’t look like it so ordered and now I have to wait on those for a few days. I sure would like the ability to roll this bike around lol. I did notice the rear shoe cam was backwards as explained during my last build. I doubt this was done after it left the factory so who knows how many went out backwards.image.jpgisn’t that dimple mark supposed to be facing in?

Yes, in towards the axle .....

ProperBrakeCamInstall.jpg

When I checked mine, I found they were all wrong. lol. That was partly my fault because I just matched ones that I took apart to ones that were still together. Even though they were wrong, I didn't know that at the time. I've got them all correct now and some of those brakes are really starting to work well as they bed in more.

Last edited:
I’ll wait till my shoes come in to spin it. I want to replace that felt washer as well. I went ahead and rebuilt the front caliper and mounted it on the forks. What a PITA that was with new pads.

Started on my carbs today and they are probably one of the cleaner sets I’ve started with. right side came apart very easily and the brass butterfly screws came out no issues. I have new shaft seals and my kits will be here in a few days so I figured I’d get them ready. I did notice the kits come with a 42.5 pilot but the ones in the carbs are 45. I kinda thought someone had been in there because the left side carb butterfly screws were steel and of course the second one rounded out. Drilled it out no problem, chased the threads and I’ll see if I can find some stainless hex screws like Gary posted in the carb section. The choke cover gasket was the 8 hole later gasket and the right side had no gasket. I don’t know if you need one on that side because no fuel goes through there but since I’ll have it I’ll just put one there. 77F50F28-73F5-4AFF-8E30-7B515501B8F7.jpeg9FACD5BC-9058-4163-9E9B-C4F2A077E4E1.jpeg0117091B-41BC-4F43-B1AB-0A8E547383D4.jpegCCAF3539-F77E-4883-BA60-716970C2B15A.jpeg65917CE6-FBE9-450D-8487-7C239737678A.jpeg. I also cheated yesterday when I rebuilt the front caliper. The one off the bike would absolutely not budge so in anticipation of a struggle I used another that I had on the shelf. It was the same front tube mount style so there shouldn’t be any issues. I let the original soak overnight and used some heat on it and after about 20 min of back and forth. One last shot of heat and she popped right out. Now I’ll have a rebuilt spare just in case….761B8B32-3464-47BB-B0AA-DAEBEE8647A8.jpeg

That is the stock pilot jet size and your needle is set in the stock slot (#4 from the top). The kits are junk, many times coming with the wrong jet sizes, I wouldn't waste my money on them.

Carb Specs Reduced Size.jpg

No gasket used or required on the right carb choke. It's just a cover plate and no fuel is being passed under it. The cover plate is just to dress it up.

Agreed 5T on the quality. I planned on re-using what’s there because everything looks pretty good and just needs a cleaning but I do need the gaskets. I was just wondering about the description in the listing.

Honestly, I rarely, if ever, remove the choke housings, there's no need to. The holes and passageways in them are quite large so rarely, if ever, plug up. I just pull the choke plungers out, clean them, and clean down into their hole as best I can. For float bowl gaskets, I search eBay for a good deal on a 4 or 6 pack of the K&L brand. You can usually find them for $3 to $4 each in the multi-packs. For jets I only use genuine Mikuni ones. Unfortunately, the short style Z-6 needle jet that your carb set uses is not available anywhere that I'm aware of. Hopefully yours are still OK. I think you can get knock-off 4N8 needles but the needles rarely wear out or need replacing.

Thanks for the info 5T. I was having a hard time finding specific parts for this set. Honestly everything inside looked really good and it could be because as long as this bike sat it probably never saw a drop of ethanol And there was no varnish whatsoever in these carbs. Everything was open, I just really wanted to clean it and replace the seals and gaskets. Do you have a source for the butterfly seals? Would a proper sized o-ring work there? I’d love to just find a set of the 76-77 reasonable that I could put on with the single cable.

I have the carbs back together and ready, all new seals and gaskets but as stated before everything looked amazing so let’s see how it works5F7DDC21-2651-4154-A3C7-E689F4EA7280.jpeg. I did realize another issue to work out. The first pic is OEM throttle, second pic is the TX controls.BAC219DE-7C4E-4789-8AD9-F7C390F60D3C.jpegC5401250-E4D9-4452-9C86-1DA3AB44CF41.jpeg

What a PITA putting those un-linked carbs on. I have done it on my ‘72 so I knew the tricks but it was so much nicer taking them on and off of the ‘76 with linked carbs and no tensioner in the way.image.jpgimage.jpg

That's an odd vacuum barb location on the manifolds. I'm assuming you installed those yourself?

Actually no, that’s how they came and if I run it on the top it’s in the way of pulling the valve covers. The shroud with a cutout fit perfectly on the right side but I had to nibble a little out of the left side notch. That’s why my original question about these holders was about just cutting it off and sealing it. I capped them with rubber boots and clamps.

Back