Advantages of replacing XS front end with Sportster

Lost Cause

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people converting a Sportster front end to fit on your XS. I haven't seen too much explaining the advantages. Can someone elaborate on it for me?

What about weight? HD isn't exactly known for nice, lightweight components. Like that boat anchor rear wheel on the XR1200 Sportster version.
MULE has used 43 mm RWU Honda forks, and 38 mm RWU FZR 400/600 forks on his XS650 builds. Pretty sure those are way better options than anything from HD.

And to my point, what is the reason for this. In all of these instances, they are larger forks. Is that the advantage? Thank you guys for your time.

What about weight? HD isn't exactly known for nice, lightweight components. Like that boat anchor rear wheel on the XR1200 Sportster version.
MULE has used 43 mm RWU Honda forks, and 38 mm RWU FZR 400/600 forks on his XS650 builds. Pretty sure those are way better options than anything from HD.
The Sportster has Showa forks, very much like what has been found on many Yamaha motorcycles.

Yeah HD couldn't beat the Japs so started outsourcing suspension components in the 80's to Showa, which may be owned by Honda.
There were two primary providers of suspension units to the various Jap makers, Showa and Kayaba. The Sportster fork is as good as any of the basic Jap suspensions and the aftermarket companies, Progressive, Traxxion, Race Tech all make upgrade kits for them so they're easily and readily modified

The Sportster has Showa forks, very much like what has been found on many Yamaha motorcycles.
AFAIK Showa is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Yamaha Motor Co.
Yamaha bought them out in 1960 when they still made complete bikes

If you want a 21" front wheel going all sportster makes sense. There's a conversion neck bearing set available. I'd guess TC bros might have it

Going sportster front opens the door to massive amount of options for wheels and brakes. Not to mention springers and girders too.

Back