Advice Needed - Maybe dynamite?

richreed701

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am returning a much-used XS-E to reliable running condition. A previous owner (or more accurately, "abuser") must have used some sort of goop/glue/Marinetex/epoxy instead of a gasket for the small oil strainer cover (the little round one on the right side). On previous bikes, I would simply put the same Allen key I used to remove the bolts partway down one of the holes, and give it a sharp tap to the right or left and the cover would pop loose. No go this time. I've tried all sorts of non-damaging angles, tools, wedges, prayers and promises to get the damn thing loose. I've tried using a drift and hammer in the bolt recesses to try to use a twisting impact to break it loose. Nope. Nada. Nopppity-no-no.

Any ideas?

I am in the middle of removing the clutch cover to try to find a way in the back to pop it loose but (A) of course you have to remove the brake pedal, kick start lever, right peg, and the exhaust pipe/muffler to get it off, and (B) I don't hold much hope as I seem to remember there is no direct access from the back.

If anyone has any ideas, please advise. Feel free to use my direct e-mail at richardcreed702@gmail.com

I am returning a much-used XS-E to reliable running condition. A previous owner (or more accurately, "abuser") must have used some sort of goop/glue/Marinetex/epoxy instead of a gasket for the small oil strainer cover (the little round one on the right side). On previous bikes, I would simply put the same Allen key I used to remove the bolts partway down one of the holes, and give it a sharp tap to the right or left and the cover would pop loose. No go this time. I've tried all sorts of non-damaging angles, tools, wedges, prayers and promises to get the damn thing loose. I've tried using a drift and hammer in the bolt recesses to try to use a twisting impact to break it loose. Nope. Nada. Nopppity-no-no.
Any ideas?
I am in the middle of removing the clutch cover to try to find a way in the back to pop it loose but (A) of course you have to remove the brake pedal, kick start lever, right peg, and the exhaust pipe/muffler to get it off, and (B) I don't hold much hope as I seem to remember there is no direct access from the back.
If anyone has any ideas, please advise. Feel free to use my direct e-mail at richardcreed702@gmail.com

Hi rich and welcome,
try tapping the stubborn thing's bolt holes (perhaps M8?) threading in two longish bolts, bridging across them and using a slide-hammer on the bridge-piece.

I think gggGary made up a "special tool" for this? A long bar with two pins or bolts stuck through on the end, spaced to fit in the little cover bolt holes. The pins/bolts have to be just long enough to stick through the little cover, not go into the threaded holes in the main cover. Maybe he'll chime in here with details?

Other than that, I'd say keep spraying it with penetrating oil and maybe heat it up with a heat gun.

Hi rich and welcome,
try tapping the stubborn thing's bolt holes (perhaps M8?) threading in two longish bolts, bridging across them and using a slide-hammer on the bridge-piece.
Thanks for the reply. This is an edited response as I didn't carefully read your post. I had thought of drilling and tapping a new hole but did NOT think of simply tapping the existing holes. THANKS!!! That may trash the cover but they seem to be available locally at one of the three guys that build cafe and dirt track bikes out of the ol' XS. They buy any XS in any condition so they have lots of parts.

Last edited:
I think gggGary made up a "special tool" for this? A long bar with two pins or bolts stuck through on the end, spaced to fit in the little cover bolt holes. The pins/bolts have to be just long enough to stick through the little cover, not go into the threaded holes in the main cover. Maybe he'll chime in here with details?

Other than that, I'd say keep spraying it with penetrating oil and maybe heat it up with a heat gun.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had actually thought of the special tool you mentioned. I have some steel bar stock lying around, along with a couple of people nearby running their own welding shop that take walk-in stuff like this. However, I have not tried the penetrating oil yet (I did think of that) nor the heat gun (I did NOT think of that, thanks!). I'll keep everyone posted.

You probably don't need to weld the tool up, just bolt some M6 bolts through the holes. Or, if your bar stock is about 1/4" thick, tap M6 holes through it and thread the bolts into it.

Thanks for the reply, but this won't work as the threads are in the clutch cover, not the oil strainer cover. However, I have been thinking of drilling and tapping a hole in the oil cover, then using your puller scheme. That will trash the cover but they seem to be available locally at oneof the three guys that build cafe and dirt track bikes out of the ol' XS. They buy any XS in any condition so they have lots of parts.

Hi rich,
my understanding of your initial post was that you needed to remove the 2-hole oil filter cover that was was stuck onto the clutch cover casting.
Either tapping the 2-hole cover's bolt clearance holes for an extractor to pull the cover off or using 2 pins in a lever to twist it off will both work.

Bingo!!! The heat did it. No drama, no noise. I applied heat, used a small Phillips for leverage and found it was already loose. Thanks to everyone who responded.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the evidence of gasket sealer was indeed there, but in a very minimal way. Must have been some really boss gasket sealer. Some fissling with a Scotch pad and all is well.

Hi rich,
my understanding of your initial post was that you needed to remove the 2-hole oil filter cover that was was stuck onto the clutch cover casting.
Either tapping the 2-hole cover's bolt clearance holes for an extractor to pull the cover off or using 2 pins in a lever to twist it off will both work.
Yes, you were correct, but i did not read ALL of your post I have since then edited it. You must have viewed my posting before I edited it. Thanks again.

Bingo!!! The heat did it. No drama, no noise. I applied heat, used a small Phillips for leverage and found it was already loose. Thanks to everyone who responded.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the evidence of gasket sealer was indeed there, but in a very minimal way. Must have been some really boss gasket sealer. Some fissling with a Scotch pad and all is well.

Coincidently, the old radio I keep in my shop, tuned to the local oldies Classic Rock station, played "Fire!" by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown while I was heating the cover. I think the same spirits that hide my 12 mm sockets and my ratchets did that.

Needless to say, don't use any sealer on the new gasket. You see what happens if you do, lol. I just oil mine with motor oil and they seal up fine. Also, this gasket and the one under the filter element last a long, long time. I can't remember the last time I changed mine, it's been on there for years. I change them out when I first get one of these bikes but after that, almost never. Do keep a spare on hand though, just in case.

The nuclear option.
the mark 1a
oilfiltercoverwrench1.jpg oilfiltercoverwrench.jpg
And the mark 2
xs 012.JPG

None shall withstand me!
I've had the gasket split in 2 in the middle cuz Primitive Pete had used some powerful adhesive sealer. Usually he was trying to stop a tach drive leak by gluing this cover on.

Did that work?
:hellno:

Attachments

• oilfiltercoverwrench.jpg
    oilfiltercoverwrench.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 91
  • oilfiltercoverwrench1.jpg
    oilfiltercoverwrench1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 87
The nuclear option.
the mark 1a
View attachment 178247 View attachment 178248
And the mark 2
View attachment 178249
None shall withstand me!
I've had the gasket split in 2 in the middle cuz Primitive Pete had used some powerful adhesive sealer. Usually he was trying to stop a tach drive leak by gluing this cover on.

Did that work?
:hellno:
Thanks! This looks worth having made up (or trying it myself, as now that I am retired I am thinking of getting my feeble arse to the local community college to take a welding course).

Back