Aftermarket exhaust pipe symmetry issue

Well, my pipes, on my bike, show several inconsistensies. The LH pipe runs pretty much vertical as viewed from the front, while the RH angles out slightly, so ends up further out from the frame cradle. And the bottom of the lower bend is lower om the RH pipe.
Yeah, the bend angles and distances on mine were measurably different side to side. Been a few yrs, but as I recall, took several hrs of tweakin' and test fitting. I do remember that when I had 'em where I wanted, I was more aggravated than satisfied. I expected better for pushin' two hundred bucks.

Arctic, my motor is a "fairly hot" 700, and the pipe diameter is corrected with Michael Morse's outlet inserts. I also use his exhaust port inserts. Static CR is a tad under 9:1, ports were done by Jack O'Hara, and cylinders were bored and impregnated with silicon dioxide by Bill Moeller. Current carbs are Mikuni 33 mm. flat slide pumpers of unknown provenance, acquired on e-bay when such things could still be had cheaply, with spacing, refurb, and tuning by Yrs. Truly.

Can't you just rotate that right pipe in the head, swing it in closer to the frame and engine side cover?

Can't you just rotate that right pipe in the head, swing it in closer to the frame and engine side cover?
Unfortunately, no. Then the muffler hits the swing arm and axle nut. Something is just off with that pipe, as far as I can tell.

Yes, that's what mine did. Like I mentioned, I had to bend the end of the pipe out a little more. I just stuck it in my HF pipe bender and tweaked it ever so slightly .....

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender-32888.html

I may try it some more, try to bend it up and out more. I may need to tweak it a little because I plan on installing different rear shocks this year and I think they're slightly longer than what's on there now. That make introduce a clearance issue between the bottom shock mounting bolt head and the muffler.

I don't have a large pipe bender, so may end up taking the pipe to a hydraulic shop. Fortunately, 38 mm is a standard size for hydraulic tubing.

Back