Huddlebob

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
This is my very first motorcycle project. I bought this aftermarket device for my turn signals, headlight, and horn control. It only has 8 wires while the original setup on my 1982 XS400s has 10 wires. However, they serve the same function (except the original blinker switch comes back to the center and leaves the blinker on until clicked in. The new switch is just left, right, and center).

Anyway, I tried to align the wiring diagram for the bike against the one for the new switch and nothing worked. Someone please help tell me which wires to connect to which!

I'll attach some pictures of the aftermarket switch (NOTE: the brown wire in the photo (#6) is actually a blue/white striped wire.

The third photo is the wiring diagram for the xs400s.

Thank you for your help!
AAA.png
AAA1.png
xs400.jpg

I used these
Blue High Beam
White Low Beam LIGHTS
Brown 12 volts

Orange Left Turn
Light Blue Right Turn TURN SIGNALS
Gray 12 Volts

Light Green Horn
Dark Green Horn Both 12 Volts

Just use a test light or volt meter to check

I used these
Blue High Beam
White Low Beam LIGHTS
Brown 12 volts

Orange Left Turn
Light Blue Right Turn TURN SIGNALS
Gray 12 Volts

Light Green Horn
Dark Green Horn Both 12 Volts

Just use a test light or volt meter to check

I've tried to connect to the original wiring but I'm having trouble because the new switch has 8 wires while the original had 10. I tried connecting hots to hots and direction wires together but with no luck. Could you tell me what connections you made?

Hooked up just like I posted. You need to have one of two things a volt meter or a test light. Find the wire in your harness that will match
Example left turn orange on new switch to left turn in your harness
One wire at a time have done 20+ of these on different bikes and no problem

Back